Darwin Dugongs - back on the horse

Rumour has it that some FFF members are spearos. It's time to come out of the closet.
BarraBeast
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Darwin Dugongs - back on the horse

Post by BarraBeast »

It’s about time I put a happy post up and also a reminder of the amazing bounty that waits off our local coast line.

Myself and fellow dugongs found a ‘honey hole’ of snappers, all over 7kgs while exploring out wide of Bass reef. Unfortunately they were not there when we returned a few days later, but we found a
little knob of rock in the middle of nowhere that had 5kg goldies hanging around it later in the same week.

A visitor friend of ours, who is also a commercial diver, scored a 20kg mack!!! Typical, bl..dy southerners!!!

One of our favourite new bits of technology is a miniature ‘disco ball’ what we hang off our flasher, like a teaser behind a trolling boat. It spreads light all over the water column and
really fired the macks up.

I don’t know where your going to get one, but I stole mine from a cocktail party in London back 2000. If I only and a second one I could have used them for something else ;-)

Anyway enjoy the pics.

Beasty
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

"in chemistry, Alcohol is a solution! "
whomper37
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by whomper37 »

Great to see you back into it Beasty, but could you do us a favour ?? No more pics of Ric in his budgie smugglers :shock: :shock:
Frodo, Dont wear the ring...........
The magical Bling, Bling..
I dont rap about bitches and ho's
I rap about witches and trolls.....
UNCLDUG
Seadog
Seadog

Post by UNCLDUG »

Damn impressive boys :bow: Half ya luck 8-) 8-) Myself i much prefer being stuck in a noisy shed breathing welding fume and sucking grinding dust NOT :cheers: for the report
G Banger
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by G Banger »

Beasty,

After seeing the first photo I am working on the home front mate, might be able to slip out tomorrow.

MV Blubberlip will by high and dry I reckon
fishfanatic
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by fishfanatic »

Very impressive Beasty..but please leave some fish for the rest of us :P :catch: :grin:
'Take me drunk, I'm home"
Unknown

"Conformity is the jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth".
John F. Kennedy

"The first principle of a free society is an untrammeled flow of words in an open forum"
Adlai E. Stevenson

"We are willing enough to praise freedom when she is safely tucked away in the past and cannot be a nuisance. In the present, amidst dangers whose outcome we cannot foresee, we get nervous about her, and admit censorship".
Forster, Edward

"Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear"
George Orwell

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
by Anonymous
BarraBeast
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by BarraBeast »

fishfanatic wrote: please leave some fish for the rest of us :P :catch: :grin:
No danger there mate. Up there with wahoo, goldies are extremely difficult to spear. They are paranoid and always react to other species’ early warning behaviour, like blue bone that take off into the distance at first glimpse, or a little cod defending his territory.

You have to literally put your head in the sand and pretend you’re a bottom feeder, flicking up clouds of sand, before they come in close to see if you’ve got some spare crustaceans for them. No eye contact and no fast movements. Usually if there’s a school, to spear a goldie, it takes one of the group to be just a little more relaxed then the others to get a shot in. it’s also pointless to try and hide in the reef and ambush them, the click of spear release spooks them and in the split seconds it takes for the spear to reach them they can see the spear coming and get out of the way.

They are buggers for sure. In cloudy water the first thing you see is the black dots of the ‘finger mark’. They appear silver underwater and I think they have some of the best camouflage out there for fish that traverse a variety of
bottom types.

Only about 1 out of 8 drive trips results in a goldie. They are truly amazing.

BB out.
"in chemistry, Alcohol is a solution! "
max
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by max »

Some nice fish there mate,those flasher things can be got here as Chris Hurt makes em to attract Spaniards,he hangs em out the back in the burley trail :fishing: