Baits n billies.

If you are into billfish, this is your home.
double haul

Baits n billies.

Post by double haul »

Most of you would know that im a bit of a billie nut buy now so it would be of no surprise to anyone what ive been up to for the last 2 days. What might surprise everyone is my choice of bait. The last stocks of fresh local bait had been frozen n re frozen 3 times now so 1 bought 2 packets of gars to take along with the mush. The results will speak for themselves, thur i raised 6 fish with only 1 strike which hooked up then proceded to spend a minute or so sitting there shakeing its head side to side. This was a first for me but the only thing that came to mind was that the poor bugger was chokeing on it.(have a look at the local compared to the bought) :rofl:

Today was a diffrent story, i ran 1 bought bait sitting on the end of the teasers(1 chain only i was fishing solo) and a local sitting in the pro wash. Normaly the bait sitting on the end of the chain will be taken first. After days end the tally was raised 12 2 strikes 2 hooked 2 landed. Both fish on the re frozen local biats. Most of those fish looked at the bigger gar then went over to the smaller local.

Now what was that saying do as i say not as i do. :bricks:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

luvindafish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by luvindafish »

Nice work mate. Love your pics. Nice healthy sails. Fresh bait always best. We wouldnt bother with frozen bait that you get at the shops. We catch our own and freeze them. They thaw nicely and dont turn to mush. Fishing on your own is tuff. I''l come decky for you some time if the boss lets me :captain:
upnorth73
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by upnorth73 »

Nice pics DH, and the water looked pretty good to.
Hooked up solo and still managed to snap off pics as good as that, you should turn pro.

With the water as flat as that I assume they were afternoon fish. Itching to get out myself but keep getting held up, hoping to do a few early July trips out Dundee way, maybe an overnighter as well.

Well done again, Adam...
scottmac
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by scottmac »

Nice one mate! 8-) You did well taking those photos and landing the fish at the same time. I hope the wind p!sses off when I get home. We're due for a break in these 20 knot gales soon, surely?
Pecheur
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Pecheur »

Hi Double Haul,

That is some really good photos that you got there! :applause: :mrgreen:

So you did all that solo? Hooking the fish, getting the teaser out of the water, steering the boat and taking the photo?
:bow:

Must have been real madness on board for a few minutes there...
:lol:

Have a good day,
Pecheur
deepblack
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by deepblack »

Hi DH,
Thanks for taking the time to share your findings on the bait, we're going to be giving mullet a got this weekend I will let you know how we go.
Cheers,
John.
North Shore Reel Service 0400494401.
DOUG
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by DOUG »

deepblack wrote:Hi DH,
Thanks for taking the time to share your findings on the bait, we're going to be giving mullet a got this weekend I will let you know how we go.
Cheers,
John.
yeah we always done well on swim baits especially the milkies and the mullets also
my oldmans marlin was a on a 35 cm mullet and i got my marlin on a 40+ cm swimming tarpon i think the marlin definatly prefer the swim baits to the skipping gars more than likely the size of the bait was the main factor though.. definatly would have a few swim baits out the back of the boat though
almost on the water motor goes on next week so see you felas out there soon :mrgreen:
Faulksy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Faulksy »

Your a machine chicken and rice :bow: . Congrats on another great effort. Very interesting about the bait comparison.

Cheers

Pete :mrgreen:
Dutto
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Dutto »

nice one mate. still grinning from last year. have the new rig now ready for a stint just have to organise a life over work and will be fine. will call in for a beer and will work something out