How Big can you go ?????

Gold Can
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

How Big can you go ?????

Post by Gold Can »

OK GURUS,

I have got a question for you gurus out the, what size boat can you skipper with a recreational boat license???

The way to a fishermans heart is through his fly!!
sheps
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: How Big can you go ?????

Post by sheps »

Gold Can wrote:OK GURUS,

I have got a question for you gurus out the, what size boat can you skipper with a recreational boat license???

uummm dunno, however we don't have any licensing up here :captain:
mac10
Seadog
Seadog

Post by mac10 »

As big as you like if it's used for private use only. You only need formal qualifications ie Coxswain, Master 5, 4 etc if the vessel is engaged in trading eg charter, commercial etc.
Chris
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

That's why I love the NT. The average Joe can hop on an oil tanker and take his mates fishing, as long as it's just a pissup and not for profit :rofl:

If there is a size limit for rec boats, it's news to me. You would think there is some sort of limit written into all those maritime rules.
mac10
Seadog
Seadog

Post by mac10 »

Not just the NT Matt, thats all of Oz and most international waters. I don't want to be a spoil sport but i wouldn't mind seeing a bit of education delivered to boaties in the NT. I'm not saying license everyone, maybe just some ads on tele about which side to pass on etc. I know i'd feel a bit safer in some of the rivers when you've got 6 metres of plate ally coming at you at 45 knots if you knew there's a slight chance they knew which side to pass.
Cheers.
Chris
dodgyone
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by dodgyone »

mac10 wrote:Not just the NT Matt, thats all of Oz and most international waters. I don't want to be a spoil sport but i wouldn't mind seeing a bit of education delivered to boaties in the NT. I'm not saying license everyone, maybe just some ads on tele about which side to pass on etc. I know i'd feel a bit safer in some of the rivers when you've got 6 metres of plate ally coming at you at 45 knots if you knew there's a slight chance they knew which side to pass.
Cheers.
No regs? Just get 20m of rusty steel and let everyone go around you. :wink:
Don't wanna be a flat water hero.

Real men go fast when it's rough.
Faulksy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Faulksy »

As above if its rec no limit. Gold can are you planing on blocking of the whole of Norlangie creek next year. :idea:
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

Yeah no limits. If you can pay for the fuel, you can drive it!
:captain:
At least in places with a licence requirement, you know that the driver has had to pass a test at some stage in their life to say they know the rules.
Every week a situation arises where I know the driver of the boat coming full noise towards me has no idea of who has the right of way. Rule of the sea here is the biggest boat has right of way

At least when I'm driving on the road, I am pretty sure that other drivers have a licence and /or know the rules
I'm not saying we need licences but there has to be some sort of education program. The basics are in the fishing limits booklet but who reads that bit?
Even erecting signs at the ramps wont ensure that people will read it.
NathanL
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by NathanL »

Interestingly when im out fishing I usually find its the nomads/terrorists from other states on the rivers up here that routinely try and pass on the wrong side, don't give way, etc.

..and they should have all had an 'education'.

But yes - some TV adds wouldn't go astray to educate some of the locals.
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

I agree
My bro in law has a NSW boat licence and has NFI about the boating rules. Then again he has NFI about driving a car either :rofl:
We will go along as we are until someone gets wiped out and then the govt will apply the usual knee jerk reaction and bring in licences

A couple of years ago, I had to upgrade my licence for heavy vehicles and there were many changes since I passed 20 odd years ago. I doubt that anyone would pass the exam after 10 years.
Maybe an education system without the need for licensing is the go (like the Coast Guard is promoting)
Angry
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Angry »

nomad wrote: At least when I'm driving on the road, I am pretty sure that other drivers have a licence and /or know the rules
Who are you kidding :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

In this country we have every second driver on the road who quite frankly has no idea, :-? :-? :evil: :evil: :evil:
then to add fuel to the fire , we ask them to get a logbook & teach thier poor kids all thier bad habits........... :fubird: :fubird:

Frankly its appalling that we have so many young drivers killed, & its to do with the fact that 80% of them really dont know how to drive....PROPERLY !

All new liscence drivers should have to do a proper defensive driving course, maybe everyone avery 5 years.

how many times have you nearly been run off the road by some goose who doesnt have a clue !!

(I'll get down off my soapbox now).

No offence Nomad but its really a problem.
Angry

"I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you"

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

None taken
I agree with you.
I remember my old man ranting 40 years ago how we put all of the effort into teaching kids everything at school only to have their lives snuffed out once they get a licence to drive.

I'm not sure if any schools do it here, but in most other states, driving is part of the school studies and vehicles/driving instructors are provided by sponsors.
Angry
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Angry »

I totally agree with you, my Kids didnt get any tuition from thier teachers, thank God cause I've seen how most of them drive. :bricks: :bricks: :bricks: :bricks:

I suppose I'm too critical but I have a motorsport background & travel 70000kl a year & the things I see on the roads is bl..dy scary.:bonk: :bonk: :bonk: :bonk: :bonk:

Sorry to hijack the thread boys, should have posted it on the "things that p..s me off" :lol: :lol: :lol:
Angry

"I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you"

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

they are professional driving instructors being used

Return to “Boating & Driving Tips”