My 1.22 M Barra

A 'kill' sticker for each metre-long barra posted ... PM your postal details to Matt Flynn.
deano4598

My 1.22 M Barra

Post by deano4598 »

Hi All, I caught this fish quite some time ago and just found this forum. The time was 24 April 1999 and the place was the East Alligator River about 2-3 KM downstream from Cahill's Crossing. The fish was the only "keeper" caught on the day and was caught late in the day. The lure was named "a floating turd" by my mate in the picture, it was a Cairns lure brown and silver with a metal bib. The Barra took 25 minutes to get to the net and a further 20 minutes to revive and release. I do hope she still lives.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dick
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Dick »

Nice fish Dave, trying to place a 'dog turd' lure in my memory banks :smile:
Regards Dick
Mud
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Mud »

top work Davey!!!! Spanker of a fish! thanks for putting up the pic...a genuine horse!!
Its not a crisis unless there is blood around.
If there is blood around......well its a police matter...
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Nice fish, good to see some posts from back in time :mrgreen:

Never heard anyone say much about brown lures, green sure is popular tho for NT barraz.

I had a big Nilsie Invincible that was turd brown and yellow, I never used it, nor do I know what happened to it :fishing:
Dick
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Dick »

Matt Flynn wrote:
I had a big Nilsie Invincible that was turd brown and yellow, I never used it, nor do I know what happened to it :fishing:
Garbage lure Matt, had one for 18 years never did any good on it. First couple of casts back in late 1990 landed my first barra on one whilst fishing for powertails, should have known better and chucked away it then. Ten years later pulled it out again and once again no pt would go anywhere near the thing. This lump of a barra grabbed though. Wasted about half an hour with it before we could get back to real fishing.

Thankfully I left it alone until Feb 09 when I throw it into a pack of hungry barra trying to find something they'd leave alone and let a pt take. You guessed it, no such luck. Luckily some big shiela took it for a ride over the falls and that was the end of bad rubbish!!

Regards Dick
max
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by max »

Dont you hate that when big Barra ruin a good PT session :grin:
scottmac
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by scottmac »

The 'Nourlangie Tiger' brown barra bait is my favourate lure at Cahills Crossing. They still make them, but they have changed slightly. I've got one of the originals left, but am to scared to swim it! :bonk: Fishermans logic eh!