Long Lost Sails

If you are into billfish, this is your home.
Out Blue
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Out Blue »

Nice work :clap: :clap:

I've got a Holiday house rental out at Dundee and have had it booked out for basically all of April and the majority of clients I have had in their have been getting sails over the last month.

I had a group up from Adl for the week to fish and were throwing chrome slices around Bowra and managed to nail 1....Great fishing this year.

Unfortunately with my boat still in repairs and the house being constantly booked and work driving me nuts means i'm not getting near the water :evil:

Anyway, boat nearly done and i'm keen to give my new Humminbird 998 Side Image unit a good working over soon.

If people are keen for a roof over their head at Dundee let me know....Great place for families and i'm sure we can arrange some FFF prices.

Sail It Up

Coutta
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Coutta »

Great stuff John

Thanks for the info - always great to see info being shared.

I just need the wind to drop off so I can do a bit more practice on the water and then hopefully I too can pass on some detail soon!

Like your rigging especially the fact that the hook goes in only when required - have been rigging double haul style so will have to try your method as well - especially the swimmer style with the sinker....

By the way anyone able to share a waypoint for 'Stoneys Lumps' wide of Fenton??
If we all focussed on the important things in life there would always be a long queue at the ramp!
deepblack
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by deepblack »

Cheers Coutta,
The X rig works pretty well, I originally found it on the net with the sinker rig as shown in the photos. The substitution of the sinker with a tubing spacer was my own idea as I had my doubts about the effectiveness of the rig as a skip bait at lower speeds with the sinker in.

As you said the best thing about the rig is that you don't need to put the hook in until the last minute. I prerigged 45 baits this afternoon and put them 5 to a bag in large snap locks with the air sucked out. This saves me bucket loads of time on the water especially as I'm a certified knot and rigging nazi and just can't bring myself to let anyone rig my tackle for me, besides, when fishing short handed rigging baits on the fly means less time with a set of eyes on the water which is the main reason I am rigging this way. On that subject, as a general tip on the water is not the place to be rigging up your tackle unless it is unavoidable as in the case of a bust off. Even then, if you can have a spare outfit prerigged as a replacement then do it! To my mind nothing is a bigger pain in the neck than rigging on the water when there is a hot bite in progress and usually if you do have to re-rig then it is a sure bet it will be rough as guts and take you ten times as long as it would at your rigging table at home. :evil:

I haven't tried it yet but I'm pretty sure Sauries will be able to be rigged using the X method as well, this could be a good thing for when the macks are thick as they are half the price of Gars and double the quality at the moment. I worked it out today that even if i can use every gar I buy (Which I can't because they are p..s poor at the moment but thats a topic for another post) they come in at just over a dollar each.

Any way good luck all and catch you out there!
Cheers, :cheers:
John.
North Shore Reel Service 0400494401.
bowlingshane
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by bowlingshane »

John, Thanks for the great info. After reading a few articles lately and speaking to a few people i think im going to have to give this a go. Your rigging and descriptions give me agreat place to start. Hopefully ill be able to add a similiar post in a few weeks time.

Cheers mate!
ozdodge
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ozdodge »

Top post DB! :mrgreen:

fantastic detailed account :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I'm not into the sail scene, but your story makes me want to be :bow: :bow:

cheers
ozdodge

Don't crowd me - I'm likely to bite!
deepblack
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by deepblack »

Hi Guys,
Here's an update for you, a little late but better late than never, me and a mate from work went down to Dundee on Monday and Tuesday for another crack at them. Monday was a lost cause for us, we didn't raise a scale and consoled ourselves by chasing Tuna on ridiculously light gear for the afternoon, turns out the fish weren't at Long Lost and we got the low down that Bowra Wide was the place to be.

Well, we were on the water by 730 after dragging our arses getting out off bed on Tuesday and lines in on the Bowra grounds by just after 800,
well we raised the first Sail by half eight and from then on the day turned into probably the best days' fishing I have ever had.

We boated 10 for the day but that doesn't tell the real story, I think we hooked around 30 for the day and the action was mind blowing with the fish consistantly rising to the teasers all day but being very fussy about how they ate the bait as they were feeding on sardines around 2 inches long.

To put the day in perspective at one stage I was hooked up to a fish of around 18-20kg that had just taken a blistering run of around 150m and was proceding to go completely ballistic but I wasn't even looking at him because I was too busy watching a pod of a dozen fish cruise past with their sails up and half way out of the water! 8-) Quite possibly one of the coolest things I have ever seen... And to top it off the deckie proceded to pitch a Gar at the lead fish and have it peel off and take his bait... :shock: Yee Haa!... Double hookup!

Well, that paragraph pretty much sums up the day we had, it was just phenomenal! I really don't know how many fish we raised but it was definately well over a hundred and with an extra body on the boat I'm sure we could have boated a lot more than we did, with just two on board it was absolute chaos and we blew alot of fish, not that I'm complaining mind you. So there it is, if you want a crack at these awesome fish I suggest you get down there asap, you won't regret it.
Cheers, :drinking1:
John.
double haul

Post by double haul »

Dont forget the billie log deepblack, as for longlost ive changed its name to LOST because the billies are lost or the gps is lost. :rofl: Still havnt worked that area out yet but my track record up there is 0. :mrgreen: for the report.
Pecheur
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Pecheur »

Hey DeepBlack,

Great post, that must have been a great day!
:mrgreen:

Have a good day,
Pecheur
deepblack
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by deepblack »

Thanks Guys,
DH, I keep meaning to put in the marks from my GPS will do so tonight
Cheers, :cheers:
John.