ADVISE ON STARTIN 4 SAILS

If you are into billfish, this is your home.
UNCLDUG
Seadog
Seadog

ADVISE ON STARTIN 4 SAILS

Post by UNCLDUG »

i would really like a point in the right direction as to a list of the basic gear needed 4 targetin these speedsters of the ocean ,any advise would be much appreciated thanx :mrgreen:

max
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by max »

How much do you want to spend you can chase em without costing a lot of dough but if you want to get serious it can add up pretty quick.
double haul

Post by double haul »

Hey UNCLDUG start with a KISS(keep it simple stupid). After reading this you will think im stupid. Start with the most expensive sungalss you can buy, let me explain. Sunday moring around 11am or so after watching the old man miss 8 or so fish and giveing him my rod on 2 or 3 i asked if he could see the fish. Then i spoted the glasses FAR*EN $2 SPECIALS FROM THE SERVO I SAID THROW THE FAR*EN THINGS OVER THE SIDE. Turns out with me spotting the fish n him sitting on his bum doing nothing didnt help his learnig curve. Watch the teasers n baits all day, dont even think of takeing out bottom bashing gear or macky lures. Might be a bit hard a first but 99% of the time is watching n 1% is pure choas.

As for kicking of its a lot easier than you think, 1 or 2 daisy chains some old spin gear a couple of duobro clips n away you go. Ive just bought a shimano shperos 14000 and im impressed with it so far. My chains start with 3 birds 1 will be enough, then up to 12 or so plastic squid. Start with the biggest you can get your hands on, then the last 3 or so half the size. I like to use pink for all but the last 2 or 3 smaller ones. The broome boys reckon the last couple must be scared squid. :rofl: so i use white or clear. Depending on how you want to land 1 is the next step, you can down rig you baits n drop them any depth you want. Rig them swiming or skipping. Me i like to spot the fish then drop a bait back to them, so normaly ill catch a tuna and rig up a belly flap then tie it on the end of the chain. Just google switch n pitch.

The biggest tip i can give is stick with it, i could sit here all night blabing on about what to do. But it cant beat on water experience. As for places to start, if times a problem stick with fenton or nrth gutter on the neaps(south just sh*ts me) but if you can get down to dundee things will happen a lot quicker (or just throw marabou jigs at tuna schools and fluke 1). The hours i put in after comeing back from broome where not worth the $ on fuel, dont get me wrong though 1 fish can be worth millions are far as im concerned. Even more so when its a mates first. :mrgreen:
Ill be posting my upcome trips to everones disgust (they must be sick of me looking for someone to tag along buy now ) so reply n tag along mate you more than welcome. :mrgreen:
UNCLDUG
Seadog
Seadog

Post by UNCLDUG »

id like 2 start up cheap as possible ,with time and know how upgrade to the good poop . i dont want to pay peanuts and end up with monkeys so if it means spendin the coin so be it :cheers: for the prompt reply
UNCLDUG
Seadog
Seadog

thanxs DH

Post by UNCLDUG »

I am headin 2 dundee 13,14,15 may to fish with some mates from vic , they r on the barraboatel 4for 2 weeks.We r hittin bowra wide at nights 4 reefies but i want to give the sails a crack during the day .ive been a guest on a mates boat chasin them but no result , still learnt a fair bit on riggin baits and droppin them back when they come up .ive got the good sunnies :rofl: ,like u said just need the time on the water . can u send me a few pics on the daisy chain things and the other bits n pieces u mentioned . i hooked one last year trollin 4 macs on a laser pro , pure fluke , got him to the boat and he had 2 mates with him,pulled the hooks but was still rapt . do u think the old TLD 15 is up 2 the job? :cheers:
double haul

Post by double haul »

Heres the gear i use UNCLDUG. The first bird is a boone the other 2 are diveing ninjas i think. The whole chain is 6 or 7 mtrs long, note the squid sizes i think this is the most important part of the chain. You should be able to see the small beads i put on above the crimps to stop the squid slideing along there cheep as chips, the wire i use is surecatch clear nylon coated 200lb. The squid are $8 dollars or so the birds are $30 n $40 i (1 will do) think from memory the wire was $9 in the whole lot is towed along on continary wire i found on a building site with stainless shackles $10 so give or take a few $ you should be looking at around $250 for the same as what i use. On that note just for a laugh last year when the fish were running at the city i made up a beer can chain n it worked just a well sitting along side a normal 1 so experment. You should be able to make 1 up for next to nothing, what i have ended up with is 1 that is nearly bullet proof against bl..dy macs. But they still take there toll.

As for rods n reels any spin rod that can take 250yrs plus of 20lb mono is good enough, i used to run my old shimano speed masters till the bit the bullet. Same as for the rods, old ugly sticks lite n the tip will do. I use shimano burner 70 snapper rods at the moment n they cost me $80 each.
Note the brop back clip cable tied to the rod, dont mount it further up as this will give you problem once line twist comes into play.

Any thing else just ask.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
UNCLDUG
Seadog
Seadog

Post by UNCLDUG »

thanx heaps DH gunna start gettin bits n pieces together , got 3 weeks to do it, and dont worry more than likely ill end up humbuggin 4 more info :cheers: mate :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
max
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by max »

Sth Gutters ok we had this thing on for 2 hrs on 25kg,caught on skipping gar it ended up shredding the 150lb leader
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
UNCLDUG
Seadog
Seadog

Post by UNCLDUG »

great pic max 8-) makes me jelous as hell ,cant wait to c it live 4 myself :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
sheps
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by sheps »

how do you work out where to troll for sails? i live at elcho and i haven't found anybody here that fishes for them.
Pecheur
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Pecheur »

Hi Uncldug,

Just a few words of warning...

Be careful you seem to be headed for a pass of obsession...
This is addictive, very addictive...

:wink:

Have a good day,
Pecheur
whomper37
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by whomper37 »

Great post, great info.... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Frodo, Dont wear the ring...........
The magical Bling, Bling..
I dont rap about bitches and ho's
I rap about witches and trolls.....
UNCLDUG
Seadog
Seadog

Post by UNCLDUG »

i think it might be a little 2 late 4 the friendly warnin Pecheur , the obsession has already started and by all accounts its only gonna get worse but thanx anyway man :bonk: