Water in engine

Tell us a camping story. Let us guess? You left the cooking oil and bog roll at home ...
seano
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Water in engine

Post by seano »

Went for a drive yesterday arvo and got a bit bogged got out and then went though some deep water engine spluttered and stalled- no snorkle, restarted but ran rough until I gave it some revs and managed to get out of the hole with a bit of reversing and forwarding car seems to be running fine now, does anyone think I have damaged my engine- its a 2004 navara 3l turbo diesel.

Bullet
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Bullet »

Hey seano,
there's a good chance you may have hydraulicly lock the engine with water which is very bad. this can cause bent conrods as you can't compress a liquid and somethings gota give. You might of been lucky and only had a small amount of water in the cylender and pushed it out the exhaust, but reving the engine isn't a good idea when this happens.
The only way to tell would be to get a compresion test done, but if its running fine now and not lacking in power you might have goten lucky.
Buy a snorkle mate, then there's no worry.

Cheers bullet :mrgreen:
Cheers Bullet

I LIVE WITH FEAR, SOMETIMES SHE LETS ME GO FISHING!

DON'T NEED BAIT!
seano
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by seano »

Yep definatly need a snorkel, thanks for the reply :smile:
Damian B
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Damian B »

Don't waste your money on a snorkel just buy a TOYOTA :cheers: :cheers: 8-) 8-)
Billster
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Billster »

Hey Seano if it is running OK now you have most likely got away without any major damage.

Would pay to check/change your air filter as the water has most liklely soaked through that to get into your engine.
Wouldn't hurt to check/change your engine oil and filter and if you were in water that deep for any length of time your trans & axle oils as well, better to get any water out of these areas as soon as possible.

Some might think this excessive but I reckon oils are cheap compared to overhauling engines, gearboxs & diffs that blow up due to bearing failure from water intrusion.

The when you are finished doing that you should get a Toyota with a snorkle. :lol:

Billy
"Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero" - Seize the day, trust as little as possible in tomorrow. (Horace)
or if all else fails
"C'est la vie"-Sh*t Happens
seano
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by seano »

Thanks for the advice... am very happy with the Nissan though, had absolutly no problems mechanically with it at all -top truck. :mrgreen:
shadymad
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by shadymad »

Make sure you water proof snorkel if u get one.Good for cleaner air
but aren't waterproof,most snorkel kits only have foam seals.
slapper1

Post by slapper1 »

TOYOTA mmmm what are they ??? dont think i ever seen one of them
must be one of those cheap imports
Myst
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Myst »

slapper1 wrote:TOYOTA mmmm what are they ??? dont think i ever seen one of them
LOL Slapper, they're the swanky looking thing towing the Nissans out of the poop!

BTW arent all the 4x4's imports?!
I'm having Deja Moo... the feeling that I've been through this bullsh*t before....
punter
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by punter »

What about the OKA????

http://www.oka.com.au/

:rofl: :rofl:
Ricky Bobby: Well let me just quote the late-great Colonel Sanders, who said..."I'm too drunk to taste this chicken."

Talladega Nights.....
sheps
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by sheps »

Myst wrote:
slapper1 wrote:TOYOTA mmmm what are they ??? dont think i ever seen one of them
LOL Slapper, they're the swanky looking thing towing the Nissans out of the poop!

BTW arent all the 4x4's imports?!
come on fellas,everybody knows that if ya want a real 4wd ya need a suzuki. 8-)

cjgp
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by cjgp »

Is that suzie wating patiently for the snatch strap to be attached? Im thinking the shadow I see on the sand there is thrown from a yota with previously prepared snatch strap. Or did the boat acutally push the suzuki from the water onto dry sand after the suzie was bogged there at low tide while the boat launched....

All those questions so little time..

Actually I used to use an old sierra on the sand hills at Newcastle, it was good for that stuff.

Gee we get off topic easy. No i think your motor is fine mate, it would have run rough immediatelly and kept running rough if you did damage
seano
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by seano »

Still running sweet ,thanks for all the advice.
seano
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by seano »

Went into Kerrys to get all the gear for a service and asked about a price for a snorkel , turns out I spent enough to get trade price for everything so the snorkel only cost $341 ! Cant complain :grin:
Jungle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Water in engine

Post by Jungle »

Hi all,

Sitting at Emerald Springs having a beer as the water light has come on in my 2010 Hilux T/D.

Any one got a suggestion for a mechanic once I get it towed back to Darwin or other advice to be aware of?

Was gunna go fishing tomorrow...looks like that is out, but the schnitzel here is good.

Cheers,

Matt.