good grief - another reef!

Scuttlers of FFF unite and show us your sinkings!
BarraBeast
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

good grief - another reef!

Post by BarraBeast »

Alright you fisho’s, we have another steel yacht we can scuttle as an official FFF reef.

Fisheries have given me the go-ahead and they will cover the crane hire, all we have to do now it raise 3k to buy it! The funds are needed to re-coup storage fee’s for the sailing club.

Yes I know, shock horror this one will cost us a bit, but are you willing to chuck in a few lazy dollars to make a reefy dream come true? Maybe Matt will raffle
A prize (hint hint). It’s intended for the lee point reef system to bolster the FAD’s already in place.

So far the last 3 yachts haven’t cost us anything to take possession of. I reckon we could scrounge up the 3k between all of us. There are some parts of the boat we can sell off, fittings, anchors, stainless steel bits etc.

I have the oxy set and welder ready to go(will need more oxy gas through).

Here’s the list of jobs –

Remove small diesel engine and fuel lines.
Cut the mast in half and attach more fish attracting hardware.
Install scuttle plug.
Remove loose fittings and anything of value.

Will attach a photo soon, the yacht is in the boat park at the Darwin sailing club. It will be very straight forward to crane onto the beach. Looking at The start of the dry season to scuttle.

This is the FFF reef, so lets get it, sink it and fish it!

"in chemistry, Alcohol is a solution! "
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Currently organising a prize raffle, if anyone wants to donate either cash to the job or a prize then please PM BarraBeast or myself, or make your pledge here :mrgreen:
Blinky
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Blinky »

If you need any rigging/lifting gear give me a hoy.
Blinky

Find us on Facebook: Blinky's Lures
Scamper
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Scamper »

I'll be in for some labour, love wreaking things, especially when I don't own them.
Matt, I'll gets a couple movie tickets and donate to the raffle.
Maybe some other FFF'ers are able to donate, in the end we all benefit.
Kevin Kevinson
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Kevin Kevinson »

beast. give me a call next week after I am back from interstate...I might be able to manage something to help out.
Cheers

KK (aka Hilly)

and then you nod your head like your saying YES to every beat...
(Homer J Simpson on listening to rock music)
drifter
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by drifter »

Hey Beast, will this have media coverage? Will it be named and marks published? I am an asking because I'm thinking of corporate naming rights. $3k isn't a big ask from a large company, especially if they thought they would get good public exposure. If the answer to these questions is yes, reply here and I will approach the Ricoh Dealer in Darwin
Buckaneer2
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Buckaneer2 »

drifter wrote:Hey Beast, will this have media coverage? Will it be named and marks published? I am an asking because I'm thinking of corporate naming rights. $3k isn't a big ask from a large company, especially if they thought they would get good public exposure. If the answer to these questions is yes, reply here and I will approach the Ricoh Dealer in Darwin
Great idea drifter If that one does not come off there are plenty of others that would be interested.
Smile, be happy & go fishing.

Work is getting in the way of my fishing.
My boss says fishing is getting in the way of my work.
I will soon fix both of our problems by quitting.
jonesy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jonesy »

drifter wrote:Hey Beast, will this have media coverage? Will it be named and marks published? I am an asking because I'm thinking of corporate naming rights. $3k isn't a big ask from a large company, especially if they thought they would get good public exposure. If the answer to these questions is yes, reply here and I will approach the Ricoh Dealer in Darwin
Good Thinking.

Maybe 'The Lost Arc' would be interested :bonk: . Don't worry I've got plenty more from where that came from
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Maybe 'The Lost Arc' would be interested
Nice :-)

Good stuff Scamper, re movie tickets :mrgreen:

The new structure will only ever be another part of the official "Rick Mills Memorial Reef" (if it is placed on that site) however the individual structure can be given a non-gazetted (unofficial) name in the next FISH FINDER book or elsewhere. I don't know if an unofficial name will be of enough interest to companies in parting with cash.

Raffle prize is still being organised. Who can make lamingtons? :lol:
fishfanatic
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by fishfanatic »

I don't know if an unofficial name will be of enough interest to companies in parting with cash.

Maybe give the company credit in writing thanking them for their contribution on the page concerned?

How about approaching Kon Vatskalis....tell him he will be immortalised for ever..deserves some credit for what he has done for NT Fisheries :wink:
'Take me drunk, I'm home"
Unknown

"Conformity is the jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth".
John F. Kennedy

"The first principle of a free society is an untrammeled flow of words in an open forum"
Adlai E. Stevenson

"We are willing enough to praise freedom when she is safely tucked away in the past and cannot be a nuisance. In the present, amidst dangers whose outcome we cannot foresee, we get nervous about her, and admit censorship".
Forster, Edward

"Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear"
George Orwell

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
by Anonymous
BarraBeast
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by BarraBeast »

fishfanatic wrote:How about approaching Kon Vatskalis...
Kon and his crew payed for the shipping containers that went down recently, which have completed the Rick Mills reef area pretty much. I have to say Kon's office did a very good job and they were responsive to my requests and idea's, which includes the lads at fisheries. they were operating lile a well oiled machine that's for sure.

this wreck is about meeting government half way and allowing FFF's to make a direct contribution to the lonetivity of the 3 reef systems.

we're not kissing arse with the private sector. this yacht has been put aside just for the FFF crew to demonstrate how competent, good looking and highy skilled we are at reef contruction.

the harbour master etc has control over the reef names for the purpose of maintaining the navigation charts. but we can call the actual components that get sunk whatever we like.

so, are you mob on board to send another broken dream down to the depths?

rock on!
"in chemistry, Alcohol is a solution! "
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

I have approached the Darwin tackle shops and selected businesses for raffle prizes.

Craigie Geeeee at Got One Darwin is first back with a 50L The Great Blokes icebox (rrp $249).

Will advise of more shortly, and where raffle tickets can be bought etc.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Matt Flynn on Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Arafura Bluewater Charters (Top End Tackle World) has donated a full-day charter for two people out of Darwin as a raffle prize :mrgreen:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

More great prizes ...

http://www.fishkids.com.au are on board with a prize pack that consists of 1 x Fishkids Shirt, 1 x Fishkids Pants and 1 x Fishkids Hat valued at $105.00 . This will be by a gift voucher and redemption, to allow for the size of the winner.

http://www.thehainesgroup.com (Suzuki) are also on board with a hats and t-shirts pack.
Last edited by Matt Flynn on Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Darwin Reef n Wrecks http://www.darwinreefnwrecks.com.au are on board with a full day charter :cheers: