Sea food galore at Edithberg, St Vincents Gulf

olfella
Gold Member
Gold Member

Sea food galore at Edithberg, St Vincents Gulf

Post by olfella »

I have just returned from a weeks fishing, crayfishing etc with a mate, Chris, who owns a charter operation in Edithberg SA.
The point of this post is that I was blown away by Chris's knowledge of his local area and proof that there is such a thing as fishing skill which comes with comprehensive knowledge. It is not just a matter of finding a good piece of reef and dropping a line.

There were up to 250 boats out a day from the Edithberg boat ramp and god knows how many from the numerous other ramps along the York Peninsula.
I was mad keen to get on the water but Chris would say it was pointless going out until a specific time, wind , wind direction and tidal flow.

For snapper we had to first catch fresh Snook which was done in approximately 5 minutes by using a peculiar skimming rig and jerking the line a particular way.

He would pick his spot and play with the electric winch until the boat was positioned just right in relation to the current and wind.

Next came an exact size sinker that would sit exactly right in the current with the snook bait cut and baited a particular way.

The bait was presented in a precise spot with the right amount of tension on the line.

I was told to wait 10 -12 minutues.

20 mnutes later I had 5 Snapper in the boat to 4.5 kilos.

Every targeted species was landed within minutes over the week.

I feasted on Snapper, King George Whiting, Gar, Crayfish, abalone and squid all week.
So there it is, if you know what you are doing and know your area you can catch fish/seafood when you want... our southern fisho mates can enjoy great fishing as well. I have not eaten that well in 30 years of fishing in the Top End
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Brent Matthews
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Brent Matthews »

Sound good,

What's the name of your mates charter business?
Cheers
BD

'May your fishing spots be silted and your hooks on backwards'
olfella
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by olfella »

The bloke is Chris Johnson, every one in Edithberg knows him as he is the only operator out of that town.
He doesn't have a business name as such. Also has the lease for Troubridge Island
coraltrout68
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by coraltrout68 »

250 boats at the boat ramp - that could result in some serious ramp rage.

All along Yorke penninsula there are great fish to be caught.

My favourite spot was Ardrossan - big snapper, whiting, squid, garfish and the odd Mulloway. Didn't get crayfish and abalone - but plenty of blue swimmer crabs.
Last edited by coraltrout68 on Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shane
max
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by max »

Whats the bag limit on crays there :o ,theres a nice range of seafood you caught :chef2:
olfella
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by olfella »

Don't quote me but I think the quota that day was 12, but I don't know if that was for the boat or was it 4 per person. I was just taking what came given I was being looked after and not me playing the tour guide.
The whole week was a pay back for me taking him Barra fishing and crabbing up here.........trust me , I'll be back