Awoonga

Harty
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Awoonga

Post by Harty »

G’day all and happy New Year,

My missus and I got an invite from my mum and partner Dale to go for a fish over to Lake Awoonga for the xmas break. It was our first time over there, and I was thinking things like “lake fishing..woo hoo..oh well better than being at work” and “swamp dogs don’t count, right?” How wrong I was.

After arriving and settling in, we were waiting for a break in the shockingly bad weather to get out and have a crack at some of these Qld swamp dogs. A window opened up for us in the afternoon and we headed out for casting session. We casted our arms off with plastic still dark for zip. I decided on a change to a hardbody and half a dozen casts later…WHACK! I got smashed, and this thing took off for the weed beds. I had to put some hurt on it to try and turn it and was calling it for 90+. Got it to the boat and was more than a little surprised when it measured 84cm.
We decided to troll back to the ramp as it was raining pretty hard at this stage. After around half an hour, I got a definate enquiry and a good 5 seconds later the fish charged my lure. I was shocked at how hard the hit was, and I looked down at my spool to see the line peeling off. This thing was p...ed! Again, I called it for at least 90, and it acted up all the way to boat. When it was netted, we stared in disbelief at an 81cm barra. It was probably the most memorable barra (fight wise) that I have ever caught. We called it a night and went home shaking our heads in amazement. These lake barra were fat and heavy and very ANGRY!
The next day saw us cowering in the boat from the constant rain squalls. We decided to troll for the last couple of hours of the morning session, and we noticed fish holding down deep and a change of tactics was in order. Deep divers were hastily tied on and we ripped them through the schools on the sounder but nothing was interested. We kept at it and before to long Kristy got a hit that nearly tore her rod from her hands. Lined screamed off her reel and we had to drive after the fish to get it back. The fish went deep and was fighting dirty – changing direction, headshaking, swimming under the boat… every trick in the book, but fortunatley it was well hooked. Eventually she fought the fish to the boat and we netted a very fat 105cm. She was in the metre club!!
Kept on the troll for the rest of the sesh and I manged to pick up a nice 94 model- another dirty fighter.
ImageImage
The next outing was much of the same, trolling out in the deep water where we noticed some fish holding. They didn’t seem to interested at all with the odd bump and nudge now and again. A couple of hours into it and Kristy hooked up on another solid fish. She didn’t muck about with it and had it to the boat very quickly and we netted an 86cm.

A few pics and we got the lures back in the water. A short time later my lure got hit and I was on to what felt like a horse.
It was very weighty, very strong and very angry. After a resonably short but livley fight we boated another 94. I couldn’t believe it. Once again I had called it for a much bigger fish. These fish were awesome.
The next day was very exciting for me and Kristy, we were going out with Rod Harrison. I had a million and one questions ready to fire at him and he was only happy to answer all of them. He is a wealth of information. We boated 3 nice fish, 2x 85cm and an 88 using some interesting methods.
ImageImageImage
Sadly that was the end of our trip, but we were stoked. We had an awesome time and caught some quality fish. Thanks to Dale who played tour guide for us and skippered his boat the whole time without fishing himself – untill he had kicked us out, he fished for about 10 minutes before he jags this 107 and not long after we had hit the road my mum decides to rub it in with a 110!
Thanks guys for an unforgettable trip and we’ll be back for sure!

:cheers:

Harty

jasonmcc
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Dams

Post by jasonmcc »

Awesome post and pics. I would love to go down to QLD and fish some of the dams, would be a blast.

Cheers

Jason
...............Wishin' I was fishin'...............
Harty
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Harty »

Gday Jason and thanks :smile:

Yep, fully recommend a trip over there. I reckon I'll be goin back for sure

:cheers:

Harty
Dick
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Dick »

Yes harty you're spot on re fish fighting ability. The old wives tail that dam fish fight like a wet sock just doesn't cut it.

They can be fussy buggers though with all the pressure they get

Looks like it was a good trip :smile:
Regards Dick
Buckaneer2
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Buckaneer2 »

Hi harty, I soon changed my opinion on those Qld swamp barra after the first couple of hours in Proserpine. They sure are "angry". :cheers:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Smile, be happy & go fishing.

Work is getting in the way of my fishing.
My boss says fishing is getting in the way of my work.
I will soon fix both of our problems by quitting.
aussiebasser
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by aussiebasser »

Hey Mate,

It was an absolute pleasure having you on board. The final tally was 17 fish including the three you got with Harro. 5 topped the metre mark. You and your Meter Maid have a standing invitation to fish with Harro whenever you get down this way. After you left, he turned tables and went into holiday mode, joining Pam and I each day for a couple of sessions. His knowledge of the swamp dogs is impressive. You guys are welcome on my boat anytime, if you can sneak a cast in past your mum. Her 110 jumping beside the boat was the highlight of the trip for me, along with the time she finally got her lure down through the pesky Barramundi to hook one of Awoonga's mighty Powertails, her fighting abilities against the turtle were pretty impressive too. I did enjoy blooding some of my new toys on metre fish. I'll bung up some piccies when I get my act together, I still haven't seen them all.
Dale

www.baialodge.com.au
I fish because the little voices in my head tell me to
posso

Post by posso »

nice bazzas kik, matt and dale....bet your converted to leaders now matty :drinking1:
aussiebasser
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by aussiebasser »

Finally resized some pics.

Here's Pam's 110, I had to help her hold it up. My 111 taken on a little Smith rod I've modified, and the 100 on a Steez Power Junkie Threadline with a Daiwa 2508 Hyper Exist Branzino.

I was speaking to my brother tonight. He landed a 127 this afternoon, solo, down near Chinaman's bend.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dale

www.baialodge.com.au
SeekingBarradise
Gold Member
Gold Member

Well done on a great trip.

Post by SeekingBarradise »

Well done Harty to you and your family, you guys had a great trip.
Great to see your wife joined the metre club too. :mrgreen:

Harro & Aussie basser have been around a few freshwater lakes in their time. It's good to hear these guys helping others as well as catching more than a few barra of their own.

I'm glad another one of you guys from up North got to experience
the Barra Lakes for yourself, rather than listen to all the hype or negative reports.

The photo's look great, thanks for posting them, they make me want to
go fishing right now. :smile:

Dicks right, they can be fussy buggers at times, so many people go away with donuts (no fish), so make sure you smile everytime you think about that cracker of a trip you had.

Cheers Lyndon
Sy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Sy »

Hi Folks,

Great report!

I have just moved to Darwin but lived in NSW(Albury) and travelled to Awoonga and Proserpine and loved those fish!!

Looking forward to catching some big girls in the salt!

Cheers

Sy
Cheers

Sy
Sy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Sy »

Fished at Proserpine, trolled at Night! 8-)

Had a ball in the open part of the lake. :wink:

Even had Lindsay trolling clients there as it was phenomonal at the time :smoking:

Cheers

Sy
Cheers

Sy
aussiebasser
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by aussiebasser »

G'day Sy,

It's a long way from Albury to Darwin, but you're heading in the right direction. I grew up fishing the Hume and the Murray, originally from Wangaratta. Harty moved to Darwin from Corowa/Rutherglen so he knows your old stomping ground pretty well too.

I first fished Proserpine in 2003, and got my first metre fish there. I must get back there one day.
Dale

www.baialodge.com.au
bushie
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by bushie »

dam nice fish