Is a Boat/Motor Cover Required?

jasbags
Silver Member
Silver Member

Is a Boat/Motor Cover Required?

Post by jasbags »

Hi everyone

As per a couple of my other posts, I will be heading up to NT next April for a few weeks fishing with a couple of mates.

I have a 435 hornet trophy which i will be towing behine my Prado. I don't currently have a cover for my boat or motor.

We plan on spending a week at Dundee, a week at Daly and possibly a week at East Ali.

This trip will obviously hit the hip pocket fairly hard so if i can avoid buying a cover for the boat and motor i will. My question to this forum is do you think a boat cover is a necessity for the roads that we will be covering or do you think i can get away with not buying either?

Thanks / Jason

May the fish be with you........
Blinky
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Blinky »

Yes, unless you want it covered in poop or stuff knocked off out of it.
Blinky

Find us on Facebook: Blinky's Lures
BarraBeast
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by BarraBeast »

it's better to have a custom fit one etc, but you can get away with no boat cover if you dont mind a bit of dust. dont leave anything in there that would fly out. i;ve had full jerry cans disappear along dirt roads, but i drive like a loon.

cover your bow with something, as your car will pepper your boat paint with chips very fast.

when you get to your destination just use a bucket or a deck wash after you launch.

BUT, your pretty mad not to cover up all the intakes on your engine at least. cheaps tarps tend to rip and the sun destroys them very fast.
"in chemistry, Alcohol is a solution! "
flicker
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

cover

Post by flicker »

Jason, its bitumen road to the daly and the east, and if you are going to dundee for a week then you will only be travelling on dirt once on the way in and once on the way out, Like BB said I would cover the motor vents and prop to keep dust out though.
A cover keeps prying eyes out and stuff in while travelling wich could be usefull for the long drive up as well.
But its up to you what you carry in the boat while travelling and you wont have the cover on the whole time you are camped anyway.
Just pack well and I reckon you would get away without one if you want to save some bucks.

Cheers Flicker
you don't know if you don't give it a go
bushie
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by bushie »

Get a cover. By the time you get to the NT you wont have any paint left on your boat I reckon! I had a new top ender, maiden voyage to middle arm (maybe 20km dirt tops), no covers and by the time I got home it must have had a thousand small stone chips in it. Still cry about that today! Had a hornet trophy prior to that, a 435, no covers, looked cr.p after a year. Needless to say my new GS Extreme has full covers. Done 1000's of km now with not a mark (except for that big rock I side swiped off the Pilbara coast!). Get your missus to work a second job to help pay for the covers. No one rides for free!
Moonman
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Moonman »

Mate I wouldn't be too worried about a boat cover unless you are carrying a lot of gear on the deck or don't want things to get wet? I would save your cash and spend it on the fishing when you get here! I mean it sounds like most of the time you will be travelling on the black top to get up here and to the Daly and the East anyways. There's probably less chance of loose stones and more chance of mud at that time of year also. In the end its only paint and doesn't change the way you fish. A quick respray is probably cheaper than a set of custom covers maybe??

Just my opinion, but I find with having a wagon you end up having to put mud coated covers in you car when you get to the ramp which is even more of a pain. Its personal choice mate, just depends how your pocket feels about it...

Cheers
Moonman!
:cheers:
flicker
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

stone chips

Post by flicker »

ah stone chips just give it the used look, is it a fishing boat or a show boat.
If it is white they hardly show up anyway, if its some flash color I might worry about it, but then again all my cars boats bikes,guns have scratches from being used ,thats what they're for.

Cheers Flicker
you don't know if you don't give it a go
jonesy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jonesy »

No need for a cover.

Mines been up and back and hardly has a stone chip on it(however it is now has a red dirt powder coat to it!!...just joking).

You'll need about 30 minutes at the car wash to spray the sh1t out of it after Fog bay road,otherwise you'll be right
Sister Ed
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Sister Ed »

Hey Jason,
I suggest a boat cover not only to keep gear in the boat from blowing out, I lost a swivel seat which was on the deck and not in the hole, but it will be like towing a parachute. Fuel is dear enough without increasing the amount used. When on unsealed surfaces, tape over all inlets of the motor to prevent dust entry in places it is not required. Enjoy
Brent Matthews
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Brent Matthews »

Ask your self a single question

Do I want a fishy boat or do I want a pretty boat,

I am yet to see a pretty fishy boat.

I haven't had a cover, and yes the hull is peppered with stone chips, and there is red stuff on my motor.... but I do get the boat in the water 5 minutes faster that the pretty boats, and I spent the difference on a new reel!
Cheers
BD

'May your fishing spots be silted and your hooks on backwards'
Billster
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Billster »

Hey Jason my opinion for all its worth;
You will get a couple of stone chips on the sealed roads and a bit of dust and a few more chips on unsealed roads but the dust washes of and the stories you have to tell will outway the cost of a full boat cover.
The gearbox and leg on the motor will not have a problem with dust as the water will wash it off first launch and exhaust around the prop will blow it out on first start up.
If anything get a travel cover for the cowl for the dust and grime around the intakes but other than that.
Have a great trip,
Billy
"Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero" - Seize the day, trust as little as possible in tomorrow. (Horace)
or if all else fails
"C'est la vie"-Sh*t Happens
bushie
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by bushie »

I've got a flashy fishy boat! Get the covers. No questions, no debate.
jasbags
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by jasbags »

WOW!! So many varied opinions. Thanks to everyone for their reply's so far.

I think I am leaning towards no cover and just using a tarp or something like that to take care of possible rock chips on the bow of the boat.

It tows pretty well behind my Prado at the moment without a cover. I get about 13 litres per 100km (average) travelling over 100kph so i don't think wind resistance is going to cause too many problems.

Thanks again / Jason
May the fish be with you........
trent
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by trent »

Good luck with the trip,some of the NT's great rivers.You can make a couple of frames up that bolt onto the front of your trailer and zip tye shade cloth to them to stop any stone damage,use large garbage bags and 100mph tape to cover up your motor,just remember if you tape over any vents or intakes to remove it!!! Total cost $50-$100, Top End Trip "Priceless"
jasonmcc
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Boat Covers

Post by jasonmcc »

I will put my ten cents worth in. I hate using boat covers.

You have this dusty or muddy cover you have to put inside your car.
You get filthy putting it on and taking it off.
They can be a pain to put on and off.
I tried full boat and motor covers and never again. The covers rubbing on the boat causes worse damage to the paint.
I got made a front (bra) for my boat and it works awesome.

Cheers

Jason
...............Wishin' I was fishin'...............