a hanky, spit and crying kids

Friends, family and public figures
BarraBeast
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

a hanky, spit and crying kids

Post by BarraBeast »

I hate to bring anyone down on this fine tropical night, but my granny passed away yesterday.

what I'd like to discuss with my FFF brothers is this - upon hearing the news memories came flooding back about my child hood when Nana was in charge. Is it just my tribe or did we all suffer this as generation x'ers?

After surfing and ice creams, and terrorising sea gulls, Nana would bundle us 3 boys into the car. Then to make things right - she would belt our feet and legs until all the sand was off, then spit in a hanky and wipe our faces free from ice cream etc :shock: Nana spit mixed in with lip stick :shock:

anyone else suffer Nanna abuse? :rofl: nah nah it's all good, I salute you Nana, Here father built the Sydney Harbour Bridge and my arse still hurts from being busted looking at xmas pressies under her bed.

"in chemistry, Alcohol is a solution! "
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Very sorry to hear it BB, nanas are gold. Col Elliott said it perfectly with his song "Hankies from Nana".
dodgyone
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by dodgyone »

Yep, my favourite goes into a home in the next month or so. Sad to see how the old folks deteriorate so quickly.

Might even give them a call tomorrow just to tell them we are coming to say hello at Christmas time.
Don't wanna be a flat water hero.

Real men go fast when it's rough.
2rods
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by 2rods »

sad news BB......I miss my nanna too....

Always had a cure for anything from a graise to a missing limb..I don't miss the cod liver oil shots (spoons full)but :shock:
:cheers:

2RODS

Depression is merely anger without enthusiasm.

If I can't be a good example, then I will just have to serve as a horrible warning...

As John Wayne once said:

"Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid."
Pecheur
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Pecheur »

Sorry about the sad news BB.

I was in part raised by my Grand-Ma, and misses her dearly...
It's kind of strange, being over 40 and still missing Grand-Ma...
But she did teach me among other things to try to stay an honest man what ever the situation, and for that I will always be grateful to her.

And she was the best cook ever!

Have a good day,
Pecheur
cjgp
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by cjgp »

Sorry to hear on the loss mate..

my grandparents were war refugee Russians. My grandfather taught me to drive a semi at 6 and the car at 8 he was always p...ed on his home made vodka so had to have someone to drive for him!! No one could make me feel as proud of myself as he did when he told me I had done a good job on the farm.

My grandmother was a real mix of hard and soft., but boy could she cook. "Eat eat" she would say as she ladled more food into my rail thin pre teen body. I am pretty sure she fed me everything from cat to internals of bulls balls, just because she used to eat the stuff, but hey, really what you dont know.....

She had a mad play on words. One time we were driving along (had a licence by that stage) towing a caravan up the old pacific hwy to Gosford. Van got a bit of a sway going, a semi passed and over we went. As we slid up the road on teh passengers side, my gran, in a thick russian accent, while she sat with her hands calmly in her lap said "Uh nu, now we diet" in the calmest voice ever. When i got her out of the car, trying hard not to laugh too much, I explained the difference between die and diet. She laughed and told me maybe she was loosing weight just from shitting herslf. Just summed up how funny oldies can be and how quick their minds really are.
Kevin Kevinson
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Kevin Kevinson »

sad to hear BB...we have the grandparents up at the moment for the birth of Kate...they have a great bond with the kids...
Cheers

KK (aka Hilly)

and then you nod your head like your saying YES to every beat...
(Homer J Simpson on listening to rock music)
punter
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by punter »

Condolence Clance, funny what you remember isn't it?
Ricky Bobby: Well let me just quote the late-great Colonel Sanders, who said..."I'm too drunk to taste this chicken."

Talladega Nights.....
BarraBeast
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by BarraBeast »

cjgp wrote: thick russian accent, while she sat with her hands calmly in her lap said "Uh nu, now we diet" in the calmest voice ever. When i got her out of the car, trying hard not to laugh too much, I explained the difference between die and diet. She laughed and told me maybe she was loosing weight just from shitting herslf..
:rofl: :rofl: that's gold cjgp!

that was a touch generation - world wars, hard labour. My grand dad was a cane cutter in north QLD. They woudl bend forward slightly and cut that cane at about a foot off the ground - it so happens that was the same height of my little naughty arse - same leaning forward posture, same angle of attack for wacking your bottom!!
"in chemistry, Alcohol is a solution! "
Whirly
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Whirly »

Sorry to hear that mate - they're great value, the Grands. Tough love from an entirely different era - I say (too late for me now) to respect and LISTEN to them now! Kids can learn a lot from the old folk - big loss for Great-Grandkids too, though they'll never know.

Chin up Champ - I like your style, they deserve a thought every now and then. Thanks for reminding us all.

Whirls
Where am I going and why am I in this handbasket?