Marlin!

If you are into billfish, this is your home.
Jez
Gold Member
Gold Member

Marlin!

Post by Jez »

Had a great season off Port Stephens in NSW earlier this year before i made the move up. Had a few days of 3-4 fish with one blinder in there when 8 out of 10 marlin were landed in a single session...not a bad day! All fish were tagged and released. Also had 3 newbied on board who managed to catch there first marlin! For one of my pommy mates it was his first fish! All the fish were caught aboard my old boys boat "Take Time"
How i wish we could bring it up here!!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

double haul

Post by double haul »

Nice fish mate, pitty ya cant snavel the old boys boat ya would have deckies lineing up at the gate. :mrgreen:
What size line class ya use on them buggers, ive got a tiagra 50w and im stating to think when i hook my first fish up here it will be to heavy.
Jez
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jez »

Hey DH, when we're running lures we fish a mixture of 50's and 80's. Usually the 80's in the riggers and 50's on the three other lines. Only reason for the 80's is we regularly hook BIG blues in 120+ fathoms when we're looking for bait. Biggest last year was an est. 300Kg's and several blues at 200+. When we find bait we'll either troll skip baits or live baits on either 15kg line or 24kg line depending on the size of the fish around. All the fish last year were caught on between 10kg and 24kg line and they were all solid fish of between 70 to 160kg's. From my experience when i fished for beakies up here last most fish are between 15kg and at max 60kg so your tiagra 50 may be a little heavy but def up to the job. We used to fish between 6kg and 15kg line up here for sails and marlin and as the water is quite shallow in comparison to south we never encountered any probs. Maybe try and get hold of a solid 15kg outfit and you cant really go wrong! hope this helps!
BTW. it also depends on whether you're trolling teaser around bait schools and pitch baiting or just trolling baits as with pitch baiting you'll be able to have a few line classes rigged and ready and pick the right gear when you get a look at that lit up sail or marlin behind a teaser!