Manton dam to close????

Barramundi, saratoga, sooties and more. For dam fishing, use the dam forums below.
2rods
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Manton dam to close????

Post by 2rods »

I was talking to an old work mate the other day and he is now working on the raising of the Darwin river Dam spillway...

Now they are going to raise the spillway by about 1.5mtrs....so what you might say.....

Well in the wet when Darwin river Dam is full and Manton is full the 2 will meet up....SO that will make both of them OUR water supply...

Even if they don't close Manton to boats they will have to close it to skiers as the HUGE salties that live in Darwin River Dam will be able to swim freely into Manton....

I might be wrong but :roll:

:cheers:

2RODS

Depression is merely anger without enthusiasm.

If I can't be a good example, then I will just have to serve as a horrible warning...

As John Wayne once said:

"Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid."
max
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by max »

I hope they dont close it to the skiers that would be a real shame :grin:
grumpy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Manton dam to close????

Post by grumpy »

2rods wrote:Even if they don't close Manton to boats they will have to close it to skiers as the HUGE salties that live in Darwin River Dam will be able to swim freely into Manton.... :roll:
Here's another thought if the salties swim in all the Barra will swim out into Darwin Harbour???????????????????????????????? Or will they just get smashed on the over flow. :idea:
A mans boat is a sign of his strengths and weaknesses???? (and wealth)
Rug
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Rug »

Manton being closed was going to happen sooner or later. I understand it being a hard pill to swallow for peaople as it is a good spot to take the family for some fun. Personally i like the idea of a govt planning for the future as we rarely see it.

Heres a thought worth pondering. Next wet season when water is flowing over the dam again into the Manton. The fish could be released in to the Manton River below the wall to Naturally make their way into the Adelaide and downstream to do their jiggy jiggy business :naughty:, boosting future fish stocks for the Adelaide River. Imagine all those big Barra being given the chance to do the breeding thing :smile:. The science would have to be done to see if the Adelaide could sustain the influx of large fish though it is worth a look.

If Manton is closed, this could be a way for the tax payer to still benifet from the fish rescource which in all fairness is our investment. :mrgreen:
Smile and the world smiles with you, fart and your all alone.
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

The NT Government could give all this a happy ending by smoothing out the bottom of the dam overflow with concrete so the escaping fish have a better chance of survival - imagine all the big fish making their way into the harbour every time the dam breaches :shock: :shock: :shock:

The dam/dams could continue to be stocked very cheaply even if fishing is banned in the impoundments. Our barra fingerlings are, or were, available almost as "spares" from the fish farm supply.

That way we could have 40 pounders regularly caught in the harbour - what an awesome tourist attraction! These big fish would definitely have a monetary value and it may justify spending on some additional concrete.

Don't know much about survivability of fish over various types of dam walls - if anyone finds any info let me know.
grumpy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by grumpy »

Good point Matt lets get everyone lobby for some sort of steps or large overflow pipe for Darwin and Manton leading into a big deep pool to increase the survial rate. :idea:

I remember all of the dead Barra at the bottom of Manton Dam years ago they don't take kindly to the big swan dive. :clap: :clap:
A mans boat is a sign of his strengths and weaknesses???? (and wealth)
back-cast
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by back-cast »

Matt Flynn
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:28 pm Post subject:
That way we could have 40 pounders regularly caught in the harbour - what an awesome tourist attraction! These big fish would definitely have a monetary value
KILL'N'FILLET Kon
could not give a flying dingo's arse about the Tourist Dollar, he just reopend Fog Bay for Slaughter, so the Sea food Council anounced on A.B.C. radio this morning
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

I fished Manton this morning - no shortage of 60cm fish biting in daylight hours, there's bigger fish too by other accounts but the really big ones that should be in numbers went over the dam wall, I guess coz there are holes in the keeper net.

Manton is a magnficent fishing waterway during the week when there are no skiiers there, it's an absolute asset for the NT.

There will be a Manton report in a coming NTMAG. Send in your Manton fish pictures to [email protected], there's no time for Manton secrets now, we need to mobilise and lobby to keep this dam open.

After all, drinking water supplies are fished all over the world :catch:
meter_seeker
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by meter_seeker »

Matt Flynn wrote:there's no time for Manton secrets now, we need to mobilise and lobby to keep this dam open.

After all, drinking water supplies are fished all over the world :catch:

What can we do Mr Flynn??? What can I do???

It would be a real shame to see it close, i finally get a 4x4 next week and was planning alot of trips down there. As a manton meter was on my to do list.
Image Image
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

What we can do is email the Fisheries Minister Kon Vatskalis and tell him we want it to stay open.

The email is [email protected]

Also the Infrastructure Minister Delia Lawrie [email protected]
Last edited by Matt Flynn on Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rug
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Rug »

Matt Flynn wrote:What we can do is email the Fisheries Minister Kon Vatskalis and tell him we want it to stay open.

The email is [email protected]

Also the Infrastructure Minister Delia Lawrie [email protected]
Minister for essential services (Rob Knight) is the one you want to speak to.
Smile and the world smiles with you, fart and your all alone.
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Minister for essential services (Rob Knight) is the one you want to speak to.
Email all of them, and the chief minister!