Sails does anyone cube for them?

If you are into billfish, this is your home.
jarrah jack
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Sails does anyone cube for them?

Post by jarrah jack »

I can"t stop wondering if anyone has tried cubing for those finiky sails that rise and look without actually grabbing the offerings.

I've read in reports that there are many rising at the moment but they are proving elusive to actually hook which is what it is really all about for most of us.

The yellowfin tuna down south which coincidently enough are about in large numbers at the moment are predominantly taken with the cubing method.( Whilst mentioning that I wonder if it is just a coincidence that this freakish sails season is corrosponding to a similar season for the yellowfin down south. I guess we will never know with these wide ranging pelargics.)

Has anyone out there tried putting out a berly trail of cut up pilchards and floated a tasty bait down the trail ,with the hook totally hidden inside,to tempt those sails or marlin?

luvindafish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by luvindafish »

The aim is to hook them in the bill. Not to have them swallow hooks. Release , release, release :fishy:
jarrah jack
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by jarrah jack »

I should have said circle hooks with a crushed barb just to make sure. The release even with lures does not absolutely gaurantee a healthy fish especially with longer fights on light line. Do you release all the fish you catch luvinda?
luvindafish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by luvindafish »

Nice touch. We release every sail, and all barra apart from maybe one small barra if we are camping on the boat. No guarantees with anything mate but we certainly try :fishy:
dodgyone
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by dodgyone »

Of course if you really cared about a fishes welfare the best thing you could do is not catch it in the first place. :roll:
Don't wanna be a flat water hero.

Real men go fast when it's rough.
luvindafish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by luvindafish »

This may be true. My life however would be BORING therefore i shall continue to enjoy my loved past time and fish for the future :fishy: