RIP Lake Bullen Merri

No barramundi here. Just snapper, whiting, samson, kingies, tuna ...
jarrah jack
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

RIP Lake Bullen Merri

Post by jarrah jack »

A very sad report to make of a massive die off of fish at lake bullen merri in western victoria.
The lake held some great sportfish including monster specimens of chinook salmon, brown and rainbow trout.
Nobody can say whether the die off is a result of a recent algae bloom or something equally sinister lurking deep below.The lake is situated in/on an extinct volcano.
Fishermen (or should I say fisherpersons or fishers ,Paul Keating help! )will now be deprived of one of the very few fishing options left in inland victoria.
Whilst it could be a bitterly cold place the lake offered a variety of fishing. Sight casting to rainbows from the bank, slow trolling up some monsters with the help of the downrigger, live baiting with the resident gugeon and fly fishing from the shore, to mention a few.

It has all gone belly up for some time to come I would imagine.

Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

By all accounts a special lake from what I have read, I may still fish it one day yet, hope it mends quickly :mrgreen:

I imagine the Victorian inland scene is now cr.p with the drought etc :|
punter
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by punter »

That sucks, I used to fish it in the 80's when I lived in Stawell, was a beautiful stretch of water. Hope it can recover soon.
Ricky Bobby: Well let me just quote the late-great Colonel Sanders, who said..."I'm too drunk to taste this chicken."

Talladega Nights.....
jarrah jack
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by jarrah jack »

Yer Matt and Punter its very bad. I lived in Ararat and Ballarat in the 80s and all those lakes that we used to fish or just swim in or just go past are dust bowls, Burrumbeet, Learmoth, Greens , Bolac to name a few. There are some good blokes and good fishermen around those parts just as there is up north.Thats life folks, make the most of it.
punter
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by punter »

and some of the best yabbies and mushrooms to be had!!!
Ricky Bobby: Well let me just quote the late-great Colonel Sanders, who said..."I'm too drunk to taste this chicken."

Talladega Nights.....
jarrah jack
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by jarrah jack »

Bit of an update on Bullen Merri
Just found out that they had a few giant airators going to keep the water oxygenated during the drought. It seems that someone smarter than us decided to turn them off a year ago!!!!