Dinah Beach Boat Ramp Etiquette

Jeno
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Jeno »

When I was a young bloke growing up in Nth Qld and boating around the place like Airlie Beach, I used to know of some young fella's, not that I condone this sort of behaviour mind you...but some young larrakin's used to get pee'd off with all the yatch tenders tying up at the pontoons while they sat up at the bar getting sloshed, so they would set the little tenders free, release them back to the sea, where they could grow and be free, and in the process free up the Freaking pontoon for the purpose it was installed for :roll: :shock: :grin: :sailing:

No matter where you go, there you are!
Jules74
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Jules74 »

I can't reverse a trailer, so I get the job of getting the boat on and off the trailer, as soon as that boat is in the water, I am out of there, doing my best to stay outta everyones way while waiting for the master and commander to park the car and wander back down. What s...ts me, is the people who cut in front of me, and try to stop me from going back to shore to pick him up.

These are the same people who have sat there and watched me back the boat off the trailer, do they really think I am pushing in to park on the ramp, go and get the car and retrieve a 6mtr boat all on my own?! :bonk: :banghead: Hello people! Wake up!!
Some people believe that the world is flat, carried through time on the backs of 4 elephants that are balanced on a turtle, the Great Atuin
Choppers
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Choppers »

I dont mind showing a little patience and giving assistance to people who are obviously new at the game but I get very p!ssed at people who are not novices and show no consideration for other ramp users at all. I have almost had the front end of my car wiped out by some clown trying to back his car down before me even though there was more than enough room for two cars and I was already reversing down before he got there (and yes I can back a trailer!).

Other clowns that retrieve their boat and then stay parked on the ramp while they empty contents into car, throw out used bait etc or rigg up at top of ramp before launching (my pet hate).

Gotta just go with flow and laugh it off as these idiots wont spoil my day!

Stupid thing is it is this group of dropkicks that also go fishing in overcrowded boats with no or little safety gear and our taxes pay for their rescue.

Hey Matt perhaps Boat Ramp etiquette could be an article in the next mag!!!
muntzy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by muntzy »

I wonder if any of these ramp muppets were the ones who left 8 or 9 empty stubbies floating around the mouth of Reichardts Creek on Sunday arvo?!!! Worse thing is they were pretty much the only things we got in the landing net that day.
Outside of a dog, a book is a mans best friend,
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read!!
slug
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by slug »

Just read this thread for the 1st time from go to whoa.

What a bunch of whingers ........ :rofl: :rofl:
happy slave
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: ramp

Post by happy slave »

Matt Flynn wrote:Yeh, it's funny watching the capers down there - but not so funny when you are waiting. Maybe the long awaited Dinah Beach ramp pontoon will help things along, but I suspect it might just give the circus performers an extra spot to show off.

Speaking of the pontoon, has the NT Govt forgotten about it? It seems to be taking an awful long time.
Next election is not for another three years we might see it then matt
I Find Your Lack Of Fishing Disturbing
freon
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

boat ramps

Post by freon »

high guys am new to the forum
was at the sth alligator a few weeks a go
and some clown was teaching his missus
to back down the ramp .She kept backing into the wall
while 4 trailors were waiting at the top of the ramp :evil:
Monsoon-AL

Post by Monsoon-AL »

Wowsers fella's... I've just read this thread from start to finish too and a wealth of info I've got out of it. You see, I've just bought my first boat and I've never reversed down a boat ramp at all!!! :shock: I have reversed other trailers tho, but without the pressure it seems is common place on the ramps!! :o However, if you see me over the coming weeks at probably East Arm or Dinah Beach with my Suby Forester and Quintrex Bowrider, give me a break, coz I'm a newbie for sure!!!
And I'll be takin' me, my boat and my missus down to a vacant car to practice. Nevertheless, it aint no easy thing! :cheers:
Abu Yabba Doo
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Dinah Beach Boat Ramp Etiquette

Post by Abu Yabba Doo »

Adelaide River Ramp needs widening or a Pontoon installed , is getting crazy out there , especially this time of year :banghead: :bonk:
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

ravstr
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by ravstr »

Why is anyone picking up from the ramp. Thats why they build the Fu*ken pontoon.
Angry
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re:

Post by Angry »

Monsoon-AL wrote:Wowsers fella's... I've just read this thread from start to finish too and a wealth of info I've got out of it. You see, I've just bought my first boat and I've never reversed down a boat ramp at all!!! :shock: I have reversed other trailers tho, but without the pressure it seems is common place on the ramps!! :o However, if you see me over the coming weeks at probably East Arm or Dinah Beach with my Suby Forester and Quintrex Bowrider, give me a break, coz I'm a newbie for sure!!!
And I'll be takin' me, my boat and my missus down to a vacant car to practice. Nevertheless, it aint no easy thing! :cheers:

Best thing you could do is go some where witha couple of 3' high pegs & practice backing.
Hints;
1/ Use Mirrors, Dont look over shoulder it'll only confuse you
2/ look in mirrors which ever mirror shows more boat (while going in reverse)turn top of wheel towards that mirror to straighten up
3/ go slow
4/ go forward first to pull trailer straight BEFORE you start backing.... makes it heaps easier

Unstrap boat, check bungs, & load gear BEFORE you get on the ramp

Good luck
Angry

"I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you"

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Agent86
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Agent86 »

yep thats it Angry re backing,

too many people try and look over their shoulder to back, fair enough when you have a box trailer, but most boat trailers are lomg enough to use the mirrors.

If you see too much trailer in the left mirror, left hand down! see too much in the right then right hand down to straighten.

I couldn't tell the missus how to back, always didn't explain it right, apparently, she advised! :x

Read it in a magazine, and wow!!! it works now. :|

Get to jump in the boat before we back down and get out of the boat once we have pulled away from the ramp, when we go out together.
Don't even get the feet wet!!! :)
If there is water and it holds fish, then it is fun trying to fool them into eating what you offer!!

Especially when you can see them!
fish4me123
Seadog
Seadog

Post by fish4me123 »

I can't understand why a small sign advising people of the etiquette of ramp use isn't at ramps. It is down south. Ill bet some corperate company might evern sponser it.. The channel island boat ramp is a classic. The amount of people who decide to set their boat up while at the bottom of the ramp. I like to put in on the rocky part of the beach so others can use the ramp. I noticed 2 boats put in while a newby couldn't start his 20hp merc. It took me 3 min to pump fuel down his fuel line to get rid of air and he was off. I could see his missus was upset at being at the bottom of the ramp while everyone backed over her. The smile she gave my when I helped was worth it.
tight lines
max
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by max »

Chill out :wink: I cant say Ive ever had a problem at a ramp what diff. is 5 min. gunna make :fishing:
freon
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by freon »

Who has right of way on the ramp
the person launching or retrieving?

cheers