NTMAG Letters to the Editor

North Australian FISH FINDER TM is printed again in 2024.
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

NTMAG Letters to the Editor

Post by Matt Flynn »

I've got space for two more letters to the editor in the May/June/July NTMAG - if you have something to say send me an email [email protected]

Here's the current two letters in the mag that's out now - they are a bit long, I would suggest submitting much shorter letters.

Standards ignored
At the 2007 AFANT meeting, I suggested that whenever a boat ramp is required, whoever is responsible for its design simply take the entire two pages of AS 3962-2001, Chapter Seven (The Standard dealing with Boat Ramps) and build it as written.
That would have been an excellent starting point towards developing first-class recreational boating facilities.
History shows that has not happened.
Boat ramps are not provided by benevolent groups or built by community-spirited volunteers.
They are built by contractors working for government departments using significant amounts of tax money.
The public has every right to expect that every aspect of the design is correct, not just a copy of some other sub-standard ramp, deemed to be acceptable because “no one complained about it”.
The problem with something that is not properly designed is that the poor design perpetuates itself.
Dinah Beach is often held up as an example of a good boat ramp, but it is simply not as bad as most of the others.
Some years ago Dinah Beach boat ramp was “upgraded” for around $750,000.
The result?
A single ramp that was slippery and not steep enough is now a double ramp that is slippery and not steep enough.
It had an approach area that was inadequate for a small number of vehicles and it is still inadequate for a larger number of vehicles.
The car park that was further from the ramp than it should have been has been enlarged to be much further from the ramp than it could have been.
In the last election campaign (2008) promises were being made for money to “upgrade” the Elizabeth River boat ramp.
One bid (ALP) was $4 million, another (CLP) was $5 million.
Will this simply repair a too-narrow ramp that is not steep enough, or put a secure enclosure around a car park that is 300m from the ramp?
In early September of this year, it was suggested to the new fisheries minister that Channel Island ramp could be widened.
This is a ramp that is so shallow in angle it is about 120m long!
If it is a great location for a boat ramp, so get rid of the rubbish ramp that is there and build a real one.
Some years ago, the current NT infrastructure minister stated in parliament that the boat ramps were a disgrace, but now in a position to do something about it, he has done nothing.
The current criteria for boat ramps seems to be simply that large amounts of money must be spent - it is not necessary for anything useful to be accomplished.
Harry Rowe
Darwin

Jetty no-go zone needed
I have lived at Wagait Beach, Mandorah, for 10 years. As a pensioner, I spend a good amount of time on Mandorah jetty.
I commonly help tourists try and catch a fish, live bait, rig set up etc. About a month ago there were five boats within 80m of the jetty at one time.
Common sense would suggest you would keep an astute look-out at all times.
You would also keep clear of third parties, especially jetties.
If you wish to drop off or pick up a passenger from a jetty, indicate your intentions to those on the jetty, then approach directly and at a slower pace.
The majority of boaters use this common sense.
Sadly there is a small group of boaters with naive and pig-ignorant acts that provoke third parties.
For example, you lot who anchor close to jetties and cast out your lines over the lines of those cast from the jetty or cast lines so they snag third parties’ lines.
Or those of you who approach the jetty at full throttle.
Because of the nature of jetty fishing, we should have a 200m boat exclusion zone from the end.
For example, giant trevally (GTs) usually go under the jetty.
If you get something on and it heads away from the jetty, it’s usually best to let out for 200m, for 20-30 minutes, to wear it down so you can get it away from the bottom and get it back to the jetty, not under it.
A tuna can run off 200m of line and take 20 minutes to land, as can a 10kg spanish mackerel.
There is already a 150m exclusion zone for spear fishers from third parties.
Boaters can go where it’s not fished out, you can chase the big fish - we can’t.
There should be a 200m boaters exclusion zone from all Darwin Harbour jetties and wharves.
There needs to be a system for boaters who need to drop off or pick up passengers, so that a horn or whistle is used to communicate their intent, to alert jetty fishers.
Legislation needs to be put in place before someone cops a sinker in the head.
Bob Napier
Mandorah