Darwin ramps in perspective

jonesy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Darwin ramps in perspective

Post by jonesy »

Always was a hot topic up there,especially dinah beach. Thought I'd share the Melbourne summertime ramps debacles,just to put things into perspective for you guys.

Fishing/boating this time of year is massive down here,especially on the calm days. Today was no exception. A good run of King George Whiting in Western Port Bay atm,so thought I'd have a crack. Got to the Hastings ramp pretty latish as it was more of a half hearted trip. Was probably 3-400 car/trailers in the park by this time. By the time I got mine in I had to walk 500 meters from the car back to the ramp. It's $11 to use the ramp,in which you pay in a coin machine(Love to take the weekend takings). This morning it was broken,jammed with coins. So what is one to do? take the boat out and go home because you can't buy a ticket,or go out fishing with the thought that surely no infringement notices will be given if the machine is broken.So I wrote a note on the windscreen with date and time of ticket machine not working and off we went.

Came in about 1pm. Within 300 meters of the ramp there were boats from earhole to a$$hole, it made the Sydney-Hobart start look like a rubby ducky race in a bath tub. After playing dodge ums through the boats I got dropped off to go and get the car. I counted 32 cars in the line waiting to use the ramp. When I got to the car I noticed the dreaded ticket attached to the windscreen. The oxygen thieves had given me a parking fine of $60 along with every other second car.
To top it off it was an hour wait in the car to get to the ramp. Even big Rexy himself was stuck in the queue behind me.

This is a similar story each weekend in december/jan/feb across several ramps. It's an utter disgrace, fisherman are treated with complete disregard down here,and too see the amount of money we pump into the economy is staggering,yet we recieve nothing. Would have to be the worst run state in the country when it comes to fisheries and infrastructure

Makes the times of waiting 3 cars deep in line in the run off which at the time was painful seem like a dream.

To top it off it was the worst day Whiting fishing of all time possibly

SMITHY
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by SMITHY »

after reading that jonesy i hope i never bitch about our ramps or waiting time again that is unreal :shock:
They say time is money, I dont have much money cause my times spent fishing
Faulksy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Faulksy »

That would be enough to make me lose interest in fishing I think. :-?
Night Stalker
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Night Stalker »

Mate that totally sucks. Im glad its not like that here, Yet.

That situation with the meter being broken and them giving out tickets would be a good topic for talk back radio. Shame them publicly :fubird:

Did you get any fish for all that effort?

:cheers:
I contend that where you fish is the
most important factor in catching fish.
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

oh crikey jonesy, was that the day you came home and then lost your post because FFF crashed :rofl:

Seriously, that sux. I don't know if I could continue fishing under such conditions.

I watch people in Brisbane driving to work in the mornings, banked up at the never ending traffic lights just 2km apart, and I wonder how they do it.

And yet the government keeps packing more of us in, one new Aussie every 1min 31secs :rofl:
jonesy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jonesy »

Nah,it was yesterday morning ,the post the night before was just about my last 4 months fishing.I'll get back to that again one night

The fishing's been pretty good the last few months,and I've generally been able to keep away from the crowds. But after xmas Western Port bay is a better option than Port Phillip bay,however the ramps in WesternPort just can't handle the traffic pressure. I won't be back there on a weekend again this summer that's for sure.

The funniest thing is I guaranteed a couple of friends we'd get the bag limit pretty easy (20 each)....we got 2 between us lol.

New Australian every 1.3 minutes.....what's things going to be like in another 20 years!? Might have to take a pay cut and move to NZ

Anyhow,enough of the saltwater for a while, hell mission after work this friday night up to Eucembene in the snowy mountains.Be good to get back up there again after 5 years. It's fishing really well at the moment from all reports, just hope the 8-9 hour drive is worth it!
Rug
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Rug »

I would like to see the ramp next to the ski club improved. The location is fantastic, it is a shame the ramp is so user unfriendly. this would take pressure off of Dinah beach.
Smile and the world smiles with you, fart and your all alone.
NathanL
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by NathanL »

IMHO i don't think the ski club ramp is a good one to upgrade - It becomes extremely annoying when you get any sort of seabreeze.
I think they need to think about some more sheltered ramps, or making some more sea walls.
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

A small rockwall running parallel with coast out from the ramp would probably fix the ski club seabreeze problem. It's been done elsewhere.

But might be better to fix up Vesteys - lots of parking space there right next to the ramp.
Buckaneer2
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Buckaneer2 »

Jonesy, I dont know how you do it. That situation would make me move to Darwin :angel: and to top it off it is bl--dy hot down there & freezing in a couple of months.
Smile, be happy & go fishing.

Work is getting in the way of my fishing.
My boss says fishing is getting in the way of my work.
I will soon fix both of our problems by quitting.