East Point tips

Your home if you fish from anything that isn't floating.
milt
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

East Point tips

Post by milt »

Hey lads i've finally arrived in Darwin,

Can someone give me the good oil on east point, what rig bait works well on the rocky ground how big a bait? Also spinning lure tips would be welcomed? What fish frequent the area etc etc?

Cheers Milt,

slapper1

Post by slapper1 »

be prepared to catch all sorts of fish from east piont ,macks ,barra , queenies ,jacks
use bibbed lure with a slow retrive with a jerking motion ,barra clasics in 120 +10 are good or a gold bomber
you never know whats going to swim past there
live mullet under a float will work a treat
craigrachow
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by craigrachow »

i agree with the live mullet and whiting. float them or cast them and let them roam whatever, you should get a queenie or trev.
Ernie
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Ernie »

Used to fish down there alot, off the rocks to the left near the beach mainly for queenies trevs and macks during the dry.Used to use live garfish as you can catch them there most of the time.(calm water)
Have also seen people using fresh crab baits for all sorts of reefies from the same spot aswell :shock: :shock: and have heard of jewies and big goldies when the water is dirty and the monsoon N/westerlies belt the coast, but not the most fun time to fish.Could end up hooking anything there, have been spooled on several ocasions and have cauht and seen alot of good fish taken from there. I used to fish the incoming tide of aroud 6 to 6.5 with the high between around 8.30-10 am.You can also flick for barra aroud the oyster rocks further around on the left and up towards Racecourse Ck.
You can also fish on the Fanny Bay side from the rock platform / beach near the toilets on the way out aswell, alot more protected if the wind is howling out the front
Also maybe lucky enough to spot the odd turtle and or Dugong if your lucky enough.
Hope this helps :drinking1: :drinking1:
give me a pm if ya want a biy more info. :catch: :catch:
Live it and ENJOY
Cant save the world from idiots as they'll just build a better one!
Wouldn't need rules if people did the right thing!
PSST There maybe crocodiles in the water
andy
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by andy »

Flick lures around the rocks on the racecourse creek side on a low tide, if you don,t get a barra the rock cod will keep you entertained.
milt
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by milt »

Thanks heaps for all the replies and advice. I was going to give it a try on sunday but with all the rain we got on Sat night i gave it a miss. How does all these down pours effect the system? would i have been best fishing a creek / river mouth? my thinking is with a flush out the bait fish would head out to sea and the bigger fish would be queing up for a feed there near the mouth???

I'll be borrowing a mates throw net and learning how to use it as live bait seems to be the key up here. i have seen some mullet looking colourful fish around the rock at low tide are these any good as livies? Where do you place the hook in its back or straight through its bottom lip?

Cheers Milt,
Fishful
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Fishful »

I would be careful with your mates cast net. You need to know what you are throwing it on (ie Nice snag free/ rock free area). It is easy to rip the poop out of a cast net. :cry:
craigrachow
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by craigrachow »

dont throw your cast net at east point unless its onto sand. it will be shredded.
i know from experience :(
Fishless
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Fishless »

On low tides of 2 meters or less, you can walk right out on rocks that extend from the beach to the left of the cliffs. Use metal slugs and slices at around the 30gm mark and crank them in as fast as you can on a high speed spinning outfit to tempt macks, queenies and the occasional long tom if you can manage to hook them. Definitely one of my favourite land based fishing spots :mrgreen: .