The Annual Boys Trip

They aren't barramundi, but there's something great about the speckled fish ...
Kenty
Gold Member
Gold Member

The Annual Boys Trip

Post by Kenty »

Every year a group of blokes gather at Lake Purrumbette in October and have a unofficail fishing comp in memory of one of their mates which died of cancer at a young age of 27. The annual boys trip and The Jimmy James Rooke Memorial Trophy took place at Lake Purrumbette on the 17,18, 19th for the 5th year in a row. Twice a year fishermen, Robby set a fast pace landing a 5.5lb brown trout in the first hour on Friday morning and wasn't even challenged until last years winner Lee had a long drawn out battle with a big brown on Sunday morning that just topped the weight of Robby's fish.
Robby jumped back in the boat but failed to land a big fish in the last two hours of Sunday's fishing time. All hell broke loose when Robby hooked up with 6min to go and was so excited I thought he was going to jump in after it! Unfortunally for him it was only a small Rainbow Trout so Lee won by a very small margin and takes the trophy home for the second year in a row. I lost a big fish that jumped and threw the hooks which would of put me in contention but it just wasn't to be. We could see plenty of big trout cruising in the shallows but they would refuse to look at our lures or live baits even after dark.

4x4xfar
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by 4x4xfar »

great story there Kenty, and some big trout too!
Good to see your doing it to honour a fallen mate. :mrgreen:
max
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by max »

Good going Kenty gotta love that trout fishing but not your weather.
meter_seeker
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by meter_seeker »

Thats truly a noble thing to do :smile: , obviously the deceased was a passionate trout fisho and what better way to remember him by having a fishing comp to comenmorate his death. Pat on the back for all participants and organisers, some nice fish also there Kenty.
Also like the look of the background in the first photo, definitly on my to do list to get down there and fish some of those areas, so a territorian like myself can say i beat the cold and fished for trout :lol: .
Image Image
Blinky
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Blinky »

Good stuff Kenty, a couple of nice trout in memory of your mate.

Is it law to wear the inflatables down there or just personal choice?

Is that Hosey's Rocks in the background of the first piccy?
Blinky

Find us on Facebook: Blinky's Lures
Faulksy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Faulksy »

Great idea for a mates memory. A couple of nice trout there as well. :fishy: