Tommycut cutting co-ordinate

And jacks, salmon, jewfish - tell us how you went. NT, FNQ and Norwest.
Matt Flynn-
Seadog
Seadog

Tommycut cutting co-ordinate

Post by Matt Flynn- »

The GPS co-ordinate for the Sampan Creek entrance to the cutting marked in an old edition of my North Australian Fish Finder book (12 22.741S 131 42.339E on page 167, 8th edition) is actually the co-ordinate for the Tommycut Creek entrance to the cutting. The correct Sampan co-ordinate is approx 12 24.570S 131 43.476E - apologies for this error.

Please note that the entrance to the cutting is just a small gap in the trees 1.2km before the S-bends and it is quite easy to miss.

UPDATE 2012: Please note that the cutting is now overgrown, here is the latest news from FFF members ... http://fishingterritory.com/post148627.html#p148627

Probably better to go round via Sampan mouth and the sea, unless it is rough outside.

Matt Flynn publishes the North Australian FISH FINDER biennial fishing map book and writes a weekly fishing report for Darwin's Sunday Territorian newspaper
coraltrout68
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by coraltrout68 »

Hi,

We went along this trail for about 5 kilometres, just having a look.

Very narrow at times - even for a 4 metre tinny.

Can you tell me how far you need to go, till you are into Tommycut creek?

Thanks
Shane
finally fishin
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by finally fishin »

I would also like to know at what stage of the tide the cutting is inaccessable. (?)
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Not sure about the tidal access level - I have only ever used it when there is flooding - but to be safe I would only use it on an incoming tide over 6.5m, and even then with care, because if you are going fast you could slam the mud and get stuck. Safer to just go down Sampan and around when there is no floodwater.
justinboab
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by justinboab »

Yeah in my 5.3 platey the cutting was verry narrow on mid tide.
Boab Boat Hire
www.boabboathire.com.au
1300 00 2622
barraboss
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by barraboss »

the more noise you have the easier it is to get round all the corners, just be sure to stop every minute or so and kill the engine to listen for other boats, my boat wears the scar of a nasty head on in the cut in. My mate borrowed it one weekend not knowing about the stop every minute and listen for other boats rule.
It will be extremely narrow for the first week or so but usuall you stil have plenty of water depth. The guides will get out with chainsaws and widen it to get there plate boats through.
I would say you can get threw on a half tide. 3m easily in a 4m boat with tiller control.
Christopher Allen Wilson
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

3m easily
That is with or without floodwater on top? Need to be clear on this or people will be stuck. I would think 3m is not enough without floodwater.
Ernie
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Ernie »

Watch out for the tree stump :shock: :shock: about 400 odd mts down from the junction on the way thru, we tried with fairly low water but it was 180-200mm dia and cut roughly level with the bank, could cause some grief :drinking1: :drinking1:
Live it and ENJOY
Cant save the world from idiots as they'll just build a better one!
Wouldn't need rules if people did the right thing!
PSST There maybe crocodiles in the water
max
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by max »

they should make a rule that up till lunch time its going down traffic only,after that only coming back traffic,good luck enforcing it .
barraboss
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by barraboss »

ah rodger, matt. Yeah i guess i dont know then, i havent seen what the water levels are doing yet. How high is the water on teh ship wreck does any oen know, or is already back in the banks ??
Christopher Allen Wilson
Gibbo
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Gibbo »

Saw some pics today on the low she,s back within the banks
need some serious rain there by the looks of it
cheers :drinking1: :drinking2: :drinking3:
FISHING IS LIFE
----------------------
Moonman
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Moonman »

I heard there was only just enough water to retrieve your boat on the Monday's big spring low tide... Sounds pretty low for this time of year!!! When's the next cyclone brewing???

Moonman
dannett
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Tommycut cutting co-ordinate

Post by dannett »

How much water is required (without flooding) to put in and retrieve at the barrage? What is considered "High tide", above 4m, above 5m?
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re:

Post by nomad »

max wrote:they should make a rule that up till lunch time its going down traffic only,after that only coming back traffic,good luck enforcing it .
depends on what time you have lunch! :D
Just slow down. a prang at slow speed is better than one at full noise

How would you go making it a one way stream?
Pooley81
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Tommycut cutting co-ordinate

Post by Pooley81 »

We went thru from the tommycut end on Sunday in a 4.5m tinny... Took about an hour and a half. we started on about half tide, approx 4m. The main issue was someone had gone thru at high tide and lopped all the overhanging branches off with a chainsaw, which is great, but all of these off-cuts some which were 5m long had formed log jams all along the cutting. We felt like a road crew moving thru and clearing the track!

By the time we got to the other end there was only just enough water to scrape through.

cheers