Introducing FAD # 4 FV Barge Arse

Scuttlers of FFF unite and show us your sinkings!
BarraBeast
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Introducing FAD # 4 FV Barge Arse

Post by BarraBeast »

Here's our most ambitious project yet, meet the FV Barge Arse(pending a better name). If more structure is welded to the deck it would be an awesome FAD. With is flat bottom it won't sink into the sand and would last a very long time.

I have met the owner and it has been promised to me for a price. Not everything is for free these days, so it's going to cost 3500 for the barge. This baby is too big to tow with recreational craft so we'll have to use a professional company to tow it out to location. I have been quoted $1800 to tow and scuttle. If any FFF's know any one in the industry that would be willing to do it for free or for the cost of the fuel that would be ace.

I have secured 1k already, so we'll have to raise a few spundoolie's ourselves. Who's up for robbing a butcher and sell tickets for meat trays?

We have access to the barge, which floats at high tide, there is power nearby and room to store the objects to mount to the deck. I have a concrete pipe, some chain, a game fishing gantry, a set of stairs, a craddle from the FV Van Bruggen, a wheel house, a radio tower and several boat cradle frames from GS Marine. These items need transportation to Frances Bay too.

The appropiate authorities have given it the nod in principle, the only challenge we would face could be stability once floated.

Please let's us know if you have any idea's on how to raise the dosh. Maybe it's time 2rods dusted off his red light!! ahahaha

Beastie.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by BarraBeast on Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

"in chemistry, Alcohol is a solution! "
bandit

Post by bandit »

u might be able to get a tow out there by one of the local fishing charter companies cost of fuel or something, would be good publicity if they got a foto towing it in the paper plus gets em onside with rec anglers.

how long and heavy is it? sea reaper may be interested in helping too for the cost of fuel or something. might not be enough pulling power tho depending on weight ect..
2rods
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by 2rods »

BB I have some more steel we can weld onto this puppy.... There has been an offer made to transport the gear from GS Marine to the work site (Buckaneer 2 :mrgreen: )

As for the $$ lets go to the ski club and :drinking2: :drinking3: I am sure that will help us come up with the answer :grin:

Maybe some of the fishing clubs could help out?? DGFC, PGFC, ??

as for the towing? I will have a chat to one of the newer operators in town that I know and see if he is willing to do it for fuel costs?
:cheers:

2RODS

Depression is merely anger without enthusiasm.

If I can't be a good example, then I will just have to serve as a horrible warning...

As John Wayne once said:

"Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid."
BarraBeast
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by BarraBeast »

2rods wrote:BB I have some more steel we can weld onto this puppy.... There has been an offer made to transport the gear from GS Marine to the work site (Buckaneer 2 :mrgreen: )
great stuff!

a reckon a shipping container on top would create a bit of vertical structure! :naughty:
BarraBeast
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by BarraBeast »

BarraBeast wrote:
2rods wrote:BB I have some more steel we can weld onto this puppy.... There has been an offer made to transport the gear from GS Marine to the work site (Buckaneer 2 :mrgreen: )
great stuff!

a reckon a shipping container on top would create a bit of vertical structure! :naughty:

coroboreebandit, dont know how much it weighs, it has 3 seperate floating sections inside, it's about 11/12 metres long
2rods
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by 2rods »

If we can get a shipping container the steel I have would be perfect to sit it on...it would ge the container 2 feet off the deck.........JEWIE HOUSE :o :o

2RODS

Depression is merely anger without enthusiasm.

If I can't be a good example, then I will just have to serve as a horrible warning...

As John Wayne once said:

"Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid."
dodgyone
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by dodgyone »

You chase the other hull I pm'ed you about Beasty?

May also have a source for a couple of old sea containers. :wink: :wink:
Don't wanna be a flat water hero.

Real men go fast when it's rough.
BarraBeast
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by BarraBeast »

dodgyone wrote:You chase the other hull I pm'ed you about Beasty?

May also have a source for a couple of old sea containers. :wink: :wink:
cool, drop the sea containers around to 2rods's house, just int he drive way will do :naughty:

that hull you pm'd me about, wake an aircon on that and we a mother ship for the run off! nah - too much wood. in this case too much wood is a bad thing.
Petto
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Petto »

I have a set of Buffalo Horns that you could add to the front like some sort of ornament (instead of a mermaid)

:jester: :rofl: :rofl:

Maybe at the mouth of the jewie cave???
Work to Live, dont live to Work.
Silver Sovereign
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Silver Sovereign »

Awesome guys !I would donate time and money to this project if required. It is definatley a worthy project.I saw a very good idea recently abount making atifical reefs, using concrete sand and rocks. They are made inside of a 2 piece basic bolt together mould, approx a metre in diameter. They are then dropped over the side onto the bottom. I was thinking it would only be good if you had access to a barge..... :idea: what if you sank the barge with some of these on board as well. That way it would be a nursery up to the uni for fish.You pour concrete in layers with sand between and rocks holding the layers togethor. Unbolt when dry and wash out the sand layers and...taa daa reef with fish holding ledges.Any way, PM me if any working bees or logistic help required, I am around till the 20th next month.
If I had a quirky signature it would be here !
clive
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by clive »

I will ask work about some scrap metal for you 8-) we have a old shiping contaner and means to drop it.
clive :fishing: :fishing:
Blinky
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Blinky »

Any rigging you need lads, let me know!
Blinky

Find us on Facebook: Blinky's Lures
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

We could raise the cash by making it into a floating pie cart and mooring it at the entrance to Sadgroves Creek at weekends, and at Charles Point at night on the right tides. :lol:

Or maybe a floating sausage sizzle - "Buy a brattwurst and help homeless jewfish".

It would make a killing :mrgreen:
JC
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by JC »

Could all the old culvert that's been ripped up and sitting near the cattle yards on Wishart Rd be loaded on top and dropped into the drink as well?

JC
double haul

Post by double haul »

Hey beast im up for working bees and might have to talk to a mate of a mate about towing. Might be a long shot but might work out for a bit of a spot light in the media.