Needs some friendly advise

If you are into billfish, this is your home.
Chook
Silver Member
Silver Member

Needs some friendly advise

Post by Chook »

Hi Folk's, I'm a newbee to the sight & I need some help. I would like to go fishing for a Sailfish but have absolutlly no idea as to what to use. Hope someone out there can point me in the right direction.

:-? :-? :-? :-? :-? :-? :-? :-? :-? :-?

Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

You should try to get out with a crew that goes sailfishing because it is a little involved and it would be much easier to learn by watching than explaining. There might be a FFF member chasing sails who has a spare spot and wants to share fuel costs - any takers?

Of course, the main trick with sails is to find them ...

They are not like jewfish - any mug can catch them :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
luvindafish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by luvindafish »

hi there. I have been fortunate to have been out fishing for sailfish a few times and have caught 11 myself (with the right people and guidance, and all in broome ) It is quite technical and does require alot of preparation and knowhow. What i can tell you is that you need good tides, birds that show you where the bait is and hours of trolling teasers around to hopefully excite the fish into coming to the surface to explore the teasers. The right gear is important and circle hooks are the best so the the fish get hooked inside the mouth and less likely to swallow them therefore less likely to hurt these awesome creatures. Once you have caught one you will be hooked! :smile:
Chook
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Chook »

Thanks for the advice,
I am getting the picture :grin:
Cant wait to send in my first "HUGE" sailfish photo's :fishing:

Cheers
double haul

sails

Post by double haul »

Hey chook just joined my self. Looking for crew, as for advice dont take it to far keep it simple. I fished the broome comp last year with a few mates and we had no idear. We ended up coming runner up in the 6 to 7.5 mtr class and only lost because of a count back (we lost 4 fish due to inexperince). The best bit of advice i can give you is take it slow. When the first strike happens LET THE SAIL TAKE AT LEAST 4 TO 8 SECONDS OF LINE THEN STRIKE, briad is bad mono is good. Just a little bite on the side ive been back from broome and since easter and have sighted 3 within a 3km radius of lee point while chassing tuna. Happy hunting.[/b]
double haul

Post by double haul »

Hey chook going to fenton on sunday, sails only. Contact me if ya interested.
dodgyone
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by dodgyone »

double haul wrote:Hey chook going to fenton on sunday, sails only. Contact me if ya interested.
Try not to limit yourself to Sails.
Last time I went there with Matt we got a little Black Marlin. :grin:
Don't wanna be a flat water hero.

Real men go fast when it's rough.
double haul

Post by double haul »

Hey chook just a quick photo to get you started in the bait rigging thing, this is a local broome rig. Its quick and easy, wont tow as good as a fully rigged gar but when the macs are thick its just purfect.
Note the wire point up and the hook set down. Feed the hook through the belly and push the wire up through the beak, now just wind the spring over the wire and you done.

:bonk: If i can catch a sail anyone can
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chook
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Chook »

:mrgreen:

Thanks double haul for the offer a few weeks ago, unfortunatlly work sent me south & just got back to defrost. Thanks for the picture too :clap:
Hubby went along to the info night at the Ski Club, Darwin Game held with Balls at the helm. He is filled with lot's of info, big thanks to Balls for that. Will take you up on another trip.
:grin: Cheers Chook.
double haul

Post by double haul »

Good to see ya still alive after the frost chook leaving for broome in 2 to 3 days be back early august. Will have a full blown assalt on the beakies every neap tides till december will be in touch. Just trying to suss out a group to hook up with at the moment and its not looking real good.(deckies are more than welcome on my boat)just picked up a tigara 50w :smile: allround.
:bonk: if i can catch one anyone can