Diver flag - No boat...

Rumour has it that some FFF members are spearos. It's time to come out of the closet.
NathanL
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Diver flag - No boat...

Post by NathanL »

Ok so the other day I was cruising around the harbour checking out some of the wrecks.
I cruised over to the mauna loa, and as I was approching it I notice there was a weee tiny divers flag on a float positioned over the wreck, so I obviously turned around and headed to another spot...

Then I started thinking about, there was no boat anywhere near there (except for the illegals.. lol).
Is this a common practice to drop a diver off without a boat? or did this dude just forget his flag?

Thats exactly what it looked like, bl..dy small too, I reckon they should make them heaps bigger..

dodgyone
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by dodgyone »

Might have been dropped off there. Pretty sure there is a minimum standard size for the flag. Pretty hard to tow a big float and flag if you are shore diving though. I used to use a little one that I towed and clipped my fish too. :cheers:
Don't wanna be a flat water hero.

Real men go fast when it's rough.
BarraBeast
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by BarraBeast »

That design is popular with the Spearo's diving in busy waters. The ML is way too far to swim. I'd say some one used it as a marker bouy to anchor in the wreck and forgot it.

nah , it's not good practice to drop off anyone without a boat. dat crayzee.
"in chemistry, Alcohol is a solution! "
slug
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by slug »

My worst nightmare :bricks:

I've been known to dive not only 'buddyless', but completely on my own with no-one else topside in the boat.

Had quite a swim a few years ago out off Old Man Rock when chasing some large painted crays, surfaced to fine no boat :o (finally found it round the other side of the rock).

Take double care these days when alone to put two anchors out & make sure both are set before heading off - altho I am not condoning 'buddyless' diving here

:angel:
rhookie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by rhookie »

I was diving back down in Vic years ago when a boat load of knobs obviously thought that they had found a souveneir in the water being my dive buoy, when i surfaced and saw 3 dumbfounded blokes trying to explain why they had pulled up beside my float which was 80m at the most from my boat and decided to grab my float, they couldnt explain.

If im diving around my boat up here now i anchor with the main pick and drag a second little reef pick out the back on my way down and set it myself, piece of mind i suppose, then i dive buoyless.

I dive up here all the time buddyless, not the smartest thing to do i know, but no one else that dives on here works the same roster as me.

Ive got well over 350 logged dives so im ok at it, but if anyone on here can dive mid week ill go with them or they can load their gear into the barcrusher and we can dive some places together.
Admit nothing, Deny everything!
BarraBeast
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by BarraBeast »

rhookie wrote: no one else that dives on here works the same roster as me.

Ive got well over 350 logged dives so im ok at it, but if anyone on here can dive mid week ill go with them or they can load their gear into the barcrusher and we can dive some places together.
welcome to the FFF Navy Seal team! we do everything they can do but we dont have a 6pack abs or the badge.

I do shift work so I mange to get a good shot at the neaps and Matt, well I'm not sure what roster he is on, but he can be the sacrificial beluga butt that the sharks might want to chop first. :grin:

we need to explore a few spots and take some photos of wrecks if your keen.

I'll pm my mob. 8-)
2rods
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by 2rods »

If you want someone to sit topside and call 000 if bits of you float up with shark tooth prints in them then I am happy to... :croc:

Me and the lad don't mind just watching someone dive...plus I need to start getting 1/2 rod used to boats :mrgreen:
:cheers:

2RODS

Depression is merely anger without enthusiasm.

If I can't be a good example, then I will just have to serve as a horrible warning...

As John Wayne once said:

"Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid."
BarraBeast
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by BarraBeast »

you just want your stainless anchor back! :rofl:
2rods
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by 2rods »

BarraBeast wrote:you just want your stainless anchor back! :rofl:
Geez BB I thought you had forgotten about my bestest ever anchor.... but if your free on the next set of neaps I have the GPS mark for it
:cheers:

2RODS

Depression is merely anger without enthusiasm.

If I can't be a good example, then I will just have to serve as a horrible warning...

As John Wayne once said:

"Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid."