Exmouth Spray!!

Rumour has it that some FFF members are spearos. It's time to come out of the closet.
Sea Reaper
Seadog
Seadog

Exmouth Spray!!

Post by Sea Reaper »

Hey all!!! :grin: :grin:
You crew are probably sick of hearing about my work stories but heres prob my last for this swing as we head 200 nm out on Sat morn for our final 7 days hard @ it :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: .
We got a call from the hydraulic man this morn telling us that he wouldn't be able to make it down to the boat until lunch. :banghead: :lol:
We quickly checked our gear and i sped upto the dive shop and hired a second pair of gear as after yesterday we didnt want to share. :evil:
We were heading out of the leeds by 0800 down to the great Jack spot!! 8-) We arrived at around 0830 anchored the boat geared up and in we went! The vis was ten fold on yesterday and we only had about .5m movement!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
On arrival there was only a few jacks which quickly sped off.......shows fish no have a decent memory! :evil: :banghead: :rofl:
The two jack bombies were dead but on approach of the 3rd bombie we were greeted with more colours than the rainbow!!!! :mrgreen:
Cant be sure how many there were but the whole rock was swarming in Tuskies!! Ranging from 200g to around the 5kg mark! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
We wasted no time and unleased on the pretty things double banking them from either side of the bombie!! :hunting: :hunting: :hunting: ( Sorry to any conservationists) :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :twisted:
We banged 5 in total! Myself boating 4 and 3kg models and B Nutz gettin a 4, and 2 x 2kg models! Sweet!!
We then snuck and poked around in every crevice in case we missed a cray yesterday.........still none!!!! :evil: :evil:
We then decided that we needed to get our fish back to the boat and into the fridge before they spoiled!!! So off we went! :sailing: :sailing:
We were just about to head into the leeds when curiosity got the better of us, noticing 5 or 6 dinghy's about 2nm west of us!
We got into the vicinity and had a sound around .........flat..........flat.........flat.........bombie........bombie!!! Could this be cray territory???? :-? :-? We were biggening to doubt it........ I was salt incrusted and lacking the energy as in the rush had forgotten to have my coffee this morn! :sleep: :sleep:
B Nutz didnt muk about tho in he went scouting the 1st rock throughly!!! Pops up to report a few small trout only!! :banghead: :banghead:
He swims down onto the next, after a while he pops up with a cheesy grin on his face and out comes a cray!!! ABOUT bl..dy TIME!!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: It wasn't a painted and we have never seen one before so if anyone can fill us in before we get back to a grants guide would be appreciated!! A local lad told us he called it a Battle Cray?? Anyway B Nutz returned to the bombie but couldn't find anymore unfortunately, and we had run out of time!!! At least we had found where they lived! We quickly sped back to our vessel and pulled
alongside as the Hydraulic man arrived.........

To cut a long story short WA lived upto its name (wait awhile) and our parts hadnt arrived!!! WHAT A SHAME!!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Our fish were extremely quickly processed a few more bottles of water were grabbed, a quick coffee and we were off!!! :sailing: :sailing:
We started at the cray spot...haha n worked west south west towards Bundigie. The water was around 6 to 7m deep and extreeemly clear! :shock: Nothing like Darwin anyway!
We found a series of great lumps and worked this area for around an hr with B Nutz nailing a nice Trouta and another bluey and myself only managing one trout and missing one! A trout all the same! 8-)
Back in the boat we continued sounding and diving a few more dud spots. Around 1630 we found a lovely drop off with a huge overhang on the back of a patch of nice reef!! :mrgreen:
We jumped in to see a heap of Radar antennas sticking out!!!! da den da darr!!! :lobster: :lobster: :lobster:
Hooked in we did!!! Being overly excited we missed a couple but I boated a rather large one and a medium one with B Nutz stinging the largest of the lot....Bastard!!!
After completing a good look ova the area, and realising we had more than enough fish and crays we returned to the marina!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:
Top day in all and my best day spearing yet!!!! Sure beats the boredom too!!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Anyway enough outta me, i'll leave yas alone.........if ya lucky!

:cheers: 8-)

Reaper
Cam24
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cam24 »

far out tom i think i might have to come visit you over in WA looks like your livin the hard life :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
must be pretty excited going back to darwin in 6 days, ive got another 16 and 4 exams, keen to hit up some trophy reds what you reakon?
andrew.south
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by andrew.south »

Awesome bag of seafood there fellas.... 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

The underwater pics are great... :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Southy

Very rarely when the ship misses the harbour is it the harbours fault
Sea Reaper
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Sea Reaper »

Yea Cam tonguen to get back ay reckon i wont do nearly as much fishing and divin as i've done out here but am keen to get out as much as pos and try stay out of the pub!! :drinking2: :drinking1: Reds are on, found some sweet ground and got some pearlers when i did that last extended on E2 last swing off so will def go give em a touch up!!! :fishing: :catch:

Yea vis was great southy was trying to get sum pics of a trouta n the crays but got toey and gust stuck the spear in em instead!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Hardest thing down here is monitoring the chart plotter and staying out of the green zones!!
Reaper
Ray Broughton
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Ray Broughton »

Great stuff Reaper, yeh mate you sure have it tough, great posts and pics mate, keep em coming, makes a long office day bearable!
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat all day drinking beer.........
whomper37
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by whomper37 »

Nice work Reaper, Starting to get very jealous!! How do the Painted Crays compare to Mud crabs?? Taste wise?
Frodo, Dont wear the ring...........
The magical Bling, Bling..
I dont rap about bitches and ho's
I rap about witches and trolls.....
chezasnt
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by chezasnt »

You crew are probably sick of hearing about my work stories
I don't think anyone would get sick of your stories Reaper they are some of the best I have read on this site. Keep em comin.
Cheza
nikoniko
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nikoniko »

I agree with chezant, awesome posts and want to read more :drinking1: NIKO
Kevin Kevinson
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Kevin Kevinson »

SR you have rocketed into KK's top ten posts for 2008...

right up there with the big gun posts for 2008 such as JasonMc's camping trip post, and your younger brothers east alligator adventure...

and just so different.

magic :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Cheers

KK (aka Hilly)

and then you nod your head like your saying YES to every beat...
(Homer J Simpson on listening to rock music)
Sea Reaper
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Sea Reaper »

Whomper honestly mate, taste wise the muddy rules easily!!! :mrgreen:
Crays are quite bland and a fair bit of garlic n butter is needed to satisfy my taste buds! The greatest bit of a cray is finding and catching them! 8-) The battle cray was alot tastier than the painteds but personally still didnt rate it against the good old muddy!! Need i mention if 1 was to add a bit of chilli and garlic to the muddy!! Hands down Mr Muddy wins!! (personal prefrence of course). :grin:

Well i thought my presence was wearing abit thin, but cheers lads! :cheers: Will do my best to keep the posts coming thru my 5 weeks on and 5 off ( if i aint @ the pub :drinking2: :drinking2: ) :rofl:

Tight lines!!
Reaper
slapper1

Post by slapper1 »

Its good to see Exnouth hasnt changed over the years still get good fish and crays
i live there for 4 years in the early 70s went back again in 1999 for 9 months to help with the clean up after cyclone vance wrecked the place
Exmouth would have to be 1 of the best fishing places in the Australia lets hope it stays that way