big cod

No barramundi here. Just snapper, whiting, samson, kingies, tuna ...
2rods
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

big cod

Post by 2rods »

Just had this sent to me...don't know the story..KK might know :angel:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

:cheers:

2RODS

Depression is merely anger without enthusiasm.

If I can't be a good example, then I will just have to serve as a horrible warning...

As John Wayne once said:

"Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid."
flicker
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

big cod

Post by flicker »

Thats one big fat murray cod! be 90- 100 lb if not more.

Flicker
you don't know if you don't give it a go
Kevin Kevinson
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Kevin Kevinson »

its not the only thing thats fat :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

theres a fair bit of skin hanging over the anglers belt...

but i can hardly throw stones from my glass house :grin:
Cheers

KK (aka Hilly)

and then you nod your head like your saying YES to every beat...
(Homer J Simpson on listening to rock music)
Jay Burgess
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Jay Burgess »

yuck what an ugly looking fish! :|
Blinky
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Blinky »

I'm with you Jay, juvenile to medium Murray Cod are beautiful green fish, but the big old fella's IMO are ugly, sickly looking fat slugs. By the looks of that poor fella's opaque (sp) eye, he has karked it.

On the subject of big cod........check this vid out.
http://s151.photobucket.com/albums/s131 ... ersCod.flv
Blinky

Find us on Facebook: Blinky's Lures
Opes

Post by Opes »

How about this one my brother caught a few weeks ago. 70lb gutted
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bozos

Big Cod

Post by Bozos »

I know thwe story on this Cod. The big bloke in the front is Gus who is mates with Rod McKenzie. This Cod by their standards was a little fella at I believe 70 lbs and I think it was caught near Swan Hill but not 100% on that. it was caught on a Bozos in the Boofin colour and this was fitted to a bassman Spinner bait. These boys featured on the DVD "Cod Almighty" and since last June Rod McKenzie has caught 100 Cod over a metre and a dozen over 100lbs and most of these were on a Bozos and bassman combination. 8-)
Dedicated Lure designer for the Australian fisherman. Australian owned - Australian designed
Dingo
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog
Location: Used to be Melville Island, now a crappy mainlander

Cod

Post by Dingo »

I have seen Cod Almighty and those fellas can catch some mighty impressive cod. They put in the hours but Rod and Gus are certainly in a class of their own when it comes to catching cod.

Dingo
ntfishn
Seadog
Seadog

Post by ntfishn »

I knew Rod McKenzie when I lived in a little town of 1500 people in Northern Victoria called Ouyen.... Rod was at that time a shearer and liked the odd trip to the Murray which is only 30klm away.
Lure fishing for cod was relatively new and Rod started to send some pics into the mags (using their lures ect).. After sending photo after photo in he started to get some recognitition which eventually got him writing some articles and giving him the excuse to do even more fishing.
Rod/ Donna and the kids them moved to Manangatang and he has continued his passion and has caught some bl..dy big fish..
Caught up with Rod at the Cod opening classic the other year and I must say that he is one of the most down to earth blokes I have ever met... Would give the shirt off his back to help you out....
I know Rod has come up here once or twice to chase the barra. If anyone is heading down to Vic and wants to meet up with the legend and try land a monster give me a PM and I'll give you his contact details... The man is like Matt Flynn - he needs an award or something for his contribution to fishing!!!

Cheers Timbo... :mrgreen:
whomper37
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by whomper37 »

How about this one my brother caught a few weeks ago. 70lb gutted

How did your brother enjoy eating fat???? You would be better off eating cat food than a Cod that size.....
Frodo, Dont wear the ring...........
The magical Bling, Bling..
I dont rap about bitches and ho's
I rap about witches and trolls.....
Bozos

Thanks For Comments

Post by Bozos »

I agree completely with your comments . Rod is just the greatest bloke. I was taslking to Rod yesterday and that prompted me to call Matt Flynn. That is how I came to be on the site. Rod ever since he started using Bozos has been catching monster after monster and I know they will do the same thing for barra. I designed the Mullet lures to catch barra. I used them first time about 2 years ago with mick mannix from Anglers Choice in the Finness and one morning we caught barra on every one of the twelve colours. I told a mate the other day who knows Matt Rawlinson whois a ranger out at kakadu and matt went out and caught 9 Barra with 3 over a metre. I just love fishing and these lures really work. They are in all tackle shops in the NT but the fishos just dont know yet. The go is troll the 6" and flick the 4". Cheers phil
Dedicated Lure designer for the Australian fisherman. Australian owned - Australian designed
jonesy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jonesy »

G'day Bozos. Got a thumbs up from a mate using Bozo's last week on the South. He was straightening all the hooks on the new squidgy pro series on big fish. He bought some bozo's at the park that night and never straightened one the next day.

I'll be giving them a good run the next few days.
Bozos

Go the park

Post by Bozos »

great to hear. I would however still set your drag. You may still have a problem on flicking the 4" as these are on purpose a lighter gauge hook. I did this on purpose as I found by usineg a smaller hook you actually hook the Barra around the lip and you get a really good hookup. With the 6" because of the strong hook and bigger hook it tends to cut under their chin so when they do the old head shake it is easy to drop them. Keep the pressure on. With the 4" they a light so if you get snagged up you can just bow and arrow or even lean on the hook until it straightens a bit and you can get it off. because they are a forged high carbon hook they dont have a momery so just bend them bakc into the correct position with a pair of pliers. Any help I can give anyone please ask. The other thing is work them slow and really get them right in the zone. With braid you will soon get the feel and yo ucan just walk them up and over the snags. As they swim well on the drop and at almost zero spped bingo - hookup. have fun
ntfishn
Seadog
Seadog

'Bow and Arrow technique'

Post by ntfishn »

Yeah BOZO, Rod showed me that 'Bow and arrow trick' and apart from soft wooded snags it works for getting the lure off 95% of the time I reckon.

For those who don't know - Point the rod tip directly at the snag.... Hold your thumb on the spool and pull as tight as possible... Pull down on the main line somewhere along the length of the rod.... Release the line quickly , causing it to flick back with force.... Whilst at the same time letting the pressure off the main line using the rod... This sends a whip action down the line and knocks the hooks off the snag... Sometimes it takes a dozen or so flicks to get it to work... Works a treat in hard snags, especially rocks... I don't take a de-snagger anymore after I learnt that one...

Cheers Timbo...
Bozos

Timbo

Post by Bozos »

Timbo your a good man. Anyone who knows Rod is blessed and its good of you to pass on the Bow and arrow technique. You are exactly right in what you say. I'd like to send you some lures to try so can you contact me via email. Cheers mate and thanks for your comments. regards phil

Return to “Southern Australian Fishing”