Daly River run off 06th-11th 04/08

And jacks, salmon, jewfish - tell us how you went. NT, FNQ and Norwest.
harmsey
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Daly River run off 06th-11th 04/08

Post by harmsey »

Day 1
After turning off at the Adelaide River turn off we where confronted by the road condition sign, all roads closed and impassable :-? But Punter and DalyDude said they where open :| So we pushed forward and arrived at the Wolliana road turnoff and another set of sign all roads closed :-? But with no road closure signs on the actual road we kept on going arriving at Banyan farm around 10am :smile: . Goes to show how much awesome info comes from this site. :mrgreen: :bow: to punter and Daly dude for the good oil 8-) 8-)

With camp set up in no time we headed up to Elizabeth for a look to find all the hazards and set a good trail on the GPS for the next day. :o Had a flick around most of the run offs for little result. :|
Seen a few rats landed at No Fish Creek and Lizzie Creek but nothing of any size. Managed to loose 4 new lures and Helen broke her new spin rod on a snag :banghead: Ran into Blinky who said he had not landed much. So we headed back and set the cheribin pots on the way. Had a feed and a few rumbos then hit the hay :sleep:

Day2
Up at sparrows to run the pots for some livies. The cheribin seemed to be in the shallows and around the rocky areas in the upper reaches of the river. So with 10 good cheribin we tied off at No Fish Creek for a very slow start at sunrise with sharks and powertails on the bite. :x
Landed the odd rat on soft plastics and cheribins but nothing really fired up till the top of the tide. :fishing:
Landed a 57,58,65,69,78cm in consecutive baits :grin: :catch: including a double hookup which proved to be fun with Katie running around the floor of the boat :o 78cm was a new PB for Helen so she was wrapped, it was also the first fish she has ever caught on an overhead as we didn’t bring any spare spin gear. After the tide turned it shut down again and we headed home after bacon and eggs on the water :chef1:

Day 3
Hitting the water again before sun up provided a repeat of yesterday with a 59,60 67,68, 72, 80 and heaps of rats on the turn of the tide. A lot more boats around today and I counted 9 boats at one stage all anchored around the mouth of No Fish. :sailing: seen a few FFF and met JohnD and his young fella :mrgreen:

Day 4
Had a late start due to a late night with the bundy bear :drinking2: and arrived just in time for the tide turn but with so many boats around we fished up stream a bit to escape the crowds. Within an hour we got 3 in the 50’s and 2 in the 70’s. Not bad for the amount of effort we put in. :roll:

Day 5
Pushed straight down to lizzie at daybreak and got a spot at the mouth. :wink: It fished well early before the tide turn landing 3 at 60, a 78 and a heap more rats all on lures but they wouldn’t touch Helens livie :-? As I left lizzie an alarm come on in the boat :-? :-? Then everything died :shock: :shock: The battery was dead :banghead: No worries I switched over to the spare batt, all good and off we went. :mrgreen: Thinking the battery must of just shyt itself we headed home only to get about ¾ the way and the alarm come on again :shock: :shock: Now this batteries flat :bonk: :bonk: and the engine was running like a pig with such low voltage :-? Not even enough power to trim the motor :cry: switched both batts together and had enough power to get back up to full noise and back to ramp only to have it stall as I drove it on the trailer@#$%^ :uhh: don’t know what’s wrong yet sounds like the alternator is dead :evil: had it serviced the day before I left :evil: :evil: :evil:

Cheers :drinking1: to Blinky for the tip about staying at Banyan farm :mrgreen: :mrgreen: by far the most welcoming campsite I have been to in the NT. :bow: its quiet refreshing to rock up to a place you have never been to before and feel at home within the first 30min. :cheers: You could see that the owners and workers where flatout getting the place back up and going and doing an upgrade to the toilet block following the wet, but they constantly went out of their way to make sure we where enjoying our stay#$% 8-)
So if you have never been to Banyan Farm and you enjoy fishing the Daly then you should really do your self a favour and pay Wally and Kerry a visit. :wink: These guys really want local business which is a lot more then I can say for some others down there. :| Ohh and Wally is a closet user of the forum too, so he enjoys putting a face to a nickname so let him know you’re from the FFF :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

:drinking1: Harmsey
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

harmsey
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by harmsey »

some more pics

forgot to add we only kept one fish on the last day for a feed and released the rest, had a bloke in the next boat ask me if FFF stood for "Fish For the Future". he was from Vic and couldnt understand why anyone would travel out here and not keep anything. 'whats the point' he said :| 'we keep everything' :| :|
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Fantastic report harmsey - glad to see the family out their enjoying it - never fun having engine trouble with the family on board, lucky you had two batteries :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
BEAR
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by BEAR »

top stuff harmsey :mrgreen:
meter_seeker
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by meter_seeker »

top post and pics harmsey enojoyed the read mate, glad to see you and family have a great time :mrgreen:
Image Image
Night Stalker
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Night Stalker »

Well done Harmsey. Great post. :cheers:
I contend that where you fish is the
most important factor in catching fish.
john d
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by john d »

Great report as usaual Hamsey. Your right about Banya Farm being a great/frendly place to camp it,s my pick of the lot also. Must have been a FFF breakdown week there it cost me $240 for a new prop hope your repairs dont go to much. 8-) :clap: :clap:
coraltrout68
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by coraltrout68 »

Nice report. We were at Banyan the same time as you guys (highly recommend the joint too).

I was with the group of 5 guys and our white tinny was next to yours for a couple of nights - anchored on the bank.

Cheers

Shane
Shane
JC
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by JC »

Well done Harmsey, We saw you on Thursday, I was in a blue Topender.
You're right about some people taking no prisoners. We watched a bloke next to us up near Clear Creek pull in a just legal barra and it was as green as the MCG and I said to my lad surley they'll throw that one back but into the esky she went.?? :bonk: :bonk:

JC
bandit

Post by bandit »

top report harmsey. good to see you got some fish, and looks like your young one was having a ball out on the water.
the daly is definatly by far my favourite river. such a pretty place to fish. and as far as cherapin go on the daly, each prawn pretty much equals a barra, specially in the dry.
cheers mate :drinking1:
dodgyone
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by dodgyone »

Awesome stuff Harmsey. Good to see the family getting into them. Almost makes me want to drop up for a visit. :cheers:
Don't wanna be a flat water hero.

Real men go fast when it's rough.
Feeling Lucky
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Feeling Lucky »

Great report Harmsey...... Good to see the little one hasn't slowed you 2 down at all. Heading down to the daly this weekend so hope I get some fish.

Cheers

FL
Mad Keen
My job is just a fill in between fishing trips.
Andy Grey
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Andy Grey »

Yeah great report :applause: Harmsey thanks for that, now I am really homesick for a bit of Daly fishing....:banghead:
http:www.andrewgreyphotography.com.au
ntpie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Daly Tue/Wed/Thur

Post by ntpie »

Just got back from the Daly with Faulksy, the nice guy he is. Had a good Day Tuesday with 18 fish, smallest 52. Mixed bag casting and trolling. Dropbears were quite popular. Mate took 300 photos so hopefully will posy some soon. Lots of small fish action at Bamboo (if you can get past the snags). Bloke caught a 75, 85 and 90 there this morning!!!

Very annoying to see people leave their rubbish in the bank and everyone seems to be keeping undersize barra.

Banyan Farm...highly recommend it...its getting better and better
Richieboy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Richieboy »

Awsome report Harmesy. Looks like the family had a ball champ. Great pics.

Richie :wink:
Mad KEEN!