Fishing on the edge

rossco
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Fishing on the edge

Post by rossco »

Hi, my son (CB's brother) is working on the edge of the Australian waters at the moment doing some oil and gas research work. He emailed me the attached photo of his first dolphin fish he caught a few days ago. They had no real fishing gear on board so they made up a trolling line out of some wire and rope and a rusty hook they found on the boat. The lure was made out of silver rope. I am betting he will take some better gear out next swing. His email said that he had caught a second fish yesterday and it also had signs of roeing. He figures that a breeding season is close by and that is why he has started to see more activity on the water. They are working in water up to a kilometre deep and constantly travelling at 5 knots, 24 hours a day so surface fishing is their only option. The old motto of 'teach a kid to fish and he will feed himself for life' is true to it's word again! cheers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

punter
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by punter »

Good one!

Are they any good on the tooth? I've seen heaps on tv but never up close, sounds like good fun to break up the tedium.
Ricky Bobby: Well let me just quote the late-great Colonel Sanders, who said..."I'm too drunk to taste this chicken."

Talladega Nights.....
Ray Broughton
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Ray Broughton »

Great ingenuity! thats an awesome story!

Punter.. apparently they are magic on the tooth.. havent nailed one personally but from reports
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat all day drinking beer.........
rossco
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by rossco »

Tom said in his email that it tasted pretty good. He could not really compare it to anything else he has eaten in the past. He also said that they were down to the last of the hooks as a couple of times they have been busted of at the wire. I'm thinking wahoo or dogtooth as the likely suspects especially if there is a bit of spawning going on out there.
Kevin Kevinson
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Kevin Kevinson »

the old dophin fish is probably better known by diners on the eastern seaboard as mahi mahi, and is well regarded by plenty of chefs as a prime table fish...can do plenty with it.
Cheers

KK (aka Hilly)

and then you nod your head like your saying YES to every beat...
(Homer J Simpson on listening to rock music)