My First F#*h

XXtreme
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

My First F#*h

Post by XXtreme »

My First Fish. :rofl:

Currently working in Adelaide, enjoying the warm/hot dry SA days and my favourite beer: Coopers Pale Ale. :cheers: Unfortunately I’m missing the Monsoonal weather and preparations for the “Run Offâ€Â
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

matty
Seadog
Seadog

Post by matty »

Geeze XXtreme that brings back some memories. I am from that bustling town called Booborowie and still remember flogging Min/Man in footy :rofl: :rofl: We also had a sheep/wheat station and we either went to Wallaroo or Lake Bonnie for holidays every year. Caught plenty of Tommy Ruffs, Leatherjackets and garfish over the years. Those blue swimmers were also a big thing for us, thanks for that bit of nostalgia. As for going back to that freezing cold, dry place to live .. I don't bl..dy think so.Cheers Matty
DNO62
Seadog
Seadog

Post by DNO62 »

Dude, don't get to settled in down South we still have to take my new rig out to some of your secret spots for some Jewies and Golden Snapper.

My first memory of catching at fish was a bl..dy eel tailed p o w e r t a i l from the Lockyer creek near Gatton, QLD. I pulled this ugly prehistoric thing from the water on a handline, of which I hadn't fed the line back onto the reel and ended up with a huge birdsnest on the ground with said fish attached.

I was as proud as punch at catching my first fish and looked to the old man for some recognition of acheivement, and recognition is exactly what I got. I got a flogging for not feeding the line back onto the reel and dragged home by the scruff of the neck. Needless to say I never fished again with my old man again. Some fathers can be real peices of sh!t.

However once hooked that was it, I have some fantastic memories of taking my younger brother down to that creek and catching, eels, Powertail and silver bream. My passion of fishing is also why I moved to Darwin after catching my first Barra on the East Alligator river in 1985.

My younger brother who is somewhat disabled due to severe rhumatiod arthritis and can longer work is visiting Darwin in late May and I intend to show him the best fishing experience of his life to date. My brother loves fishing more than I do, if that is at all possible, unfortunately he does't get the opportunity to go.

I guess while we are out on the mighty Daly river and when he catches his first Barra, those childhood memories and the promises I made him as a kid of catching really big fish will finally come true.
tight lines,

DNO
SMITHY
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by SMITHY »

Really great stories you guys are telling, i cant remember the first trip or fish i caught but every year we would go to nsw for hols and our pop would take us fishing nearly every day at sanctuary point in nsw.we found dragging a prawn net around the beaches an absolute novelty as up here as kids it was a no no in case of stingers or crocs (dad wouldnt let us). we also loved going out in his haines and it was a massive boat with room for 4 of us 5 kids to lie down in on the bunk area, but when it was time for fishing we all scrambled back on deck, we mainly caught flathead and bream but if it was calm wed go further out and get other species. my dad wasnt a big fisherman even tho he is ex navy and in the seventies was in the water police till he went into the police training acedemy so up here we went by ourselves or with my uncle. but i know what ya mean dno62 about fathers being mean and i still recall being up ended with my head in the water at 8 years old by the old man for leaning too far over the side of pops boat. was always very catiuos of him from then on if he came with us. i am now passing on the fishing bug to my 3 and 7 year old daughters and they love fishing and im sure theyll remember with fond memories their early days of fishing with me and terina :mrgreen:
They say time is money, I dont have much money cause my times spent fishing
Dex38
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Dex38 »

My first fishing experience was with my brother. The old man had booked a shack at Pt Broughten in SA. It was just after the Christmas School holiday so the nights were pretty balmy for S.A.

Well the old boy through my brother and I a couple of potato sacks and told us to scout around the shallows at low tide for Blue Swimmer Crabs. Well it didn’t take long and we both spy a big crab hiding under the seaweed. I came from the back and my brother came at it from the front. Little did I know these damn things swim faster backwards than forwards? So the next thing I know I’ve got this damn crab swimming straight back at me. :shock:

Well I decided it was time to learn how to walk on water and before you knew it we had stirred up the water that much you couldn’t see a thing. The brother and I look at each other as if to say bot that was close and then the damn thing latches onto my toe. Well with the screams and commotion I reckon we raised the dead. The end result was one big crab boiling away in a pot and me siting back with an ice pack wrapped around my toe. :bonk:

Those damn potato bags got ditch damn quick and my brother and I made up some rakes to dab for the crustaceans pretty quick. :idea:

Dex
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Geez this is a good thread, all that Largs Bay and Semaphore stuff brings back memories.

Will stick something along the same lines in my blog shortly. :mrgreen:
matty
Seadog
Seadog

Post by matty »

Pt Broughton brings back some memories Dex, some of the neighbouring farmers in the mid north had shacks at Fishermans bay so we went down straight after harvest every now and then. Remember going out for blue swimmers with the dab nets and proudly coming back with 78 in a rubbish bin we were towing behind us. Oldies nearly had a fit cause most were undersized :o :o Had to quickly eat the evidence :mrgreen: My mates mum also caught the biggest snapper anyone had seen there for a long time. Also had my first beer spew after smuggling 1/2 a dozen West end stubbies into the Pt broughton cinemas :rofl: :rofl:

Return to “Nostalgia”