Salt Water Electric

Timbo
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Salt Water Electric

Post by Timbo »

:idea: Looking to purchase a new salt water electric for the boat. Dose anyone have any recommendations on where to get a good deal and what brand to get?

Failure is only an event, Not a lifestyle
BarraMack
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by BarraMack »

Hi Timbo,

I was thinking of getting an electric motor for the Nomad a while back. From the research I did, I found that Minn Kota and Motorguide are the market leaders, and have a strong reputation. However, for a bow mounted 55lb thrust model from either of these two companies, you are looking at over $2000, once you include a quality deep cycle battery, the motor, and mounting bracket.
For a cheaper alternative, Jarvis Walker has a Watersnake line of electrics. The bow mounted 55lb model is under $700. However, you still need to factor in the other accessories.

I wonder if a 55lb thrust motor is powerful enough to deal with the strong tides and currents we get up here. I think if you were going to use if for trolling and casting in the billabogs, then it might be ok.

Cheers
Dan-
Timbo
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Timbo »

Yeah i thought id keep away from the Jarvis Walker range :lol: , would prefer to get something of high quality as i reckon in our climate something cheap would not last long. I was thinking of upgrading the 2 stroke 25 i have at the moment to a new 30hp 4 stroke Yammy or Suziki but that was going to set me back $7,000 and the Suzuki dosent come with power tilt and trim. WOW!! So electric it is then, i just want it for the end of the tides and the changing of tides in the creeks and around the harbour and to use in the billabongs especially with the weather warming up now. Might head for a Minn Kota :surf: and see who can do the best deal for me :naughty: ?

Thanks for your input BarraMack :cheers:
jonesy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jonesy »

Timbo I've got a 40lb Min kota rip tide. It's not strong enough for my little tinnie(3.85m), in wind it gets pushed aside easily,and trolling I have to have it on highest setting,then the battery only lasts about 90mins.

So get at least a 55lb thrust.
max
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by max »

timbo,I have a 55 lb minn kota,foot control, auto pilot ,my boat is 4.9 mtr fibreglass and have 2x deep cycle batteries under console,have never looked like flattening them,as I have stated before motor must go on the bow the transom ones are hopeless,(speaking from experience) . I would be surprised if you shopped around you should get one for 1,500 bucks.
Timbo
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Timbo »

Thanks guys, the 55lbs it is then, I have a 3.85m stessel and bow mount it is. Think i will go all out and get the auto one with the foot controls and two big deep cycle batteries just in case. Thanks fella's for your heads up. :cheers:
Ibbsy
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Ibbsy »

Have a 55 lbs bow mount minn kota have a single battery marine type ( they say its deep cycle not convinced can also use for cranking if need be.) run it for 7 days down the barra classic this year, fitted to a 5.25 stacer had no problems at all did most my trolling with it. charged the battery off my motor for the week, use a battery charger when at home. total cost was about $1700 includes battery cabling and isolator got it from BCF. Love the electric.
temp
Seadog
Seadog

Post by temp »

I have a 46lb bow moubnt Motorguide Freshwater on my 4.5mtr Tinny. I paid $680 for the motor, $140 for the battery, $180 for the trickle charger and $20 for a sacraficial anode which made it into a saltwater leccy. The same pound thrust motor in a saltwater model would've cost $200 more :shock: . The equivalent motor in Minn Kota would be somewhere in the $1200 region. The only major difference is the shaft which is stainless on the Motorguide and Composite on the Minn Kota.
Cheers
Craig
Tamlin
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tamlin »

Timbo,

You've seen my boat. The electric is the 55AP. I think you'll find the new ones (or perhaps an option) come without the autopilot. I hardley ever use the autopilot and if something is going to stuff up then it will be the extras you dont need.

The Rip Tide Saltwater Minn Kotas are quite different to the freshwater units. It's not the corrosion that is the problem, it the electronics in the controller head. The saltwater units (new ones) have sealed electronics. I obviously dont have to tell you why they need to do this.

I think I've mentioned to you in the past. If you are thinking of upgrading your motor to a 4 stroke or getting an electric, get the electric first, then think about the 4 stroke.

Catch ya,
Tam.
Timbo
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Timbo »

Cheers Tam,

Went to BCF today to check them out and the autopilot is an extra $400. I was going to ask you how much you use yours? Think i will leave that on the shelf then.