Dinah Beach Boat Ramp Etiquette

Dex38
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Dinah Beach Boat Ramp Etiquette

Post by Dex38 »

We launched from Dinah today for a trip out in the harbour. I go through a routine away from the ramp. Sorting out the boat – cover off, bung in, motor bracket down, electrics sorted, rods stored etc. I conduct this activity in the preparation area up away from the ramp.

As the wife attempts to back the boat down, we find three boats sitting on the end of the ramp. No one decides to move and no one indicates what he or she is doing. So down the ramp we move, hopefully awaiting the parting of the flotilla. One chap is looking after two boats on the ramp with a couple of kids holding one boat and he decides to let go of his in an effort to sort the kids out. His boat starts drifting across the ramp towards another boat. People are loading and unloading boats on the ramp. What a circus.

Finally a couple of people move slowly down the ramp in an effort to launch themselves. Their motor doesn’t want to start and this dude is pulling for his life. He must have got to 15 pulls before the 2 stroke yammy caught.

We finally get into the water leaving it all behind us. Well that’s what I thought.

On our return there are only a couple of boats on the ramp. All looks good and so we slowly edge towards the ramp, drop the deckie off so she can get the car and trailer and I back off to let others do the same. Well that is not the way it’s done here apparently. If you give up your slot on the ramp well you go to the back of the que.

This peanut in a tender comes racing in nearly bumps into another boat and starts justifying to another boat why he should be next. The tender gets the nod, and low and behold he drags the tender up onto the ramp and puts the squeeze on the side access where people drop off and pick up. :o

We then have another boat go past and drop off the deckie who leaves the boat and his helpers in the centre of the ramp.

By now I get the feeling I’ve killed a dozen black cats on the way to the ramp. The deckie then approaches the top of the ramp ready to reverse and sees an absolute rock show happening on the ramp.

I’ve had enough, so I wave her to back down the ramp and get the trailer in the water. As the car comes down the ramp the boats on the ramp are still holding their ground and old matey is still standing on the ramp next to his tender yakking away. :evil:

I even yelled to one fellow whose about to drive up the ramp with his outboard still running. :shock:

Finally the trailer gets right of way, I drive the boat on the trailer, we hook up and we’re up in the car park sorting ourselves out. :grin:

What is it with people and boat ramps? :roll:

I don’t want to see people breaking legs in an effort to jump in and out of boats but with only two lanes available, you’d think the average fisherman with average IQ could see, that if they help themselves out, they help others out.

Dex

SMITHY
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by SMITHY »

Dex its what is commonly known as IN1 (im number one) and most of these clowns also suffer from NFI. Ive had the same dramas as you on occasions and youll drop the person off to get the car and move the boat away from the ramp so that others can do the same but no, the only person that can drive the boat gets out and gets the car leaving the boat and someone holding it standing in the way.Maybe some signs telling people about courtesy at the ramps wouldnt go astray
They say time is money, I dont have much money cause my times spent fishing
harmsey
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by harmsey »

mate i had the same drama during the week at dinah :evil: sometimes i like to just sit back and have a laugh but sometimes i just want to bash someone. :hunting: what is with these people that feel it is thier god givin right to rig thier boats half way down the ramp :hunting: :hunting: it takes me about 1-2 mins to launch and retrieve :???: :???: dinah beach is a joke, and its best that you treat it that way :rofl: otherwise it will wreck your days fishing :cry:

i have found it best to either just sit back and have a laugh or jump out and give a hand to the average joe and maybe a bit of advise if they will take it :rofl: you could easily fit 3 cars on that ramp but at times it looks look its only safe for the one who thinks he owes it :fu:

nightcliff ramp can be worse, i can now see why there is always a crowd down there on the weekends :rofl: what a circus :rofl: :rofl:

:cheers: harmsey
nikoniko
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nikoniko »

It sounds like the usual circus down there. I would be happy to chip in for a boat ramp coordinator in busy times. Maybe a big sign at the top of the ramp saying NO COURTESY NO RAMP, has anyone got any other ideas?
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

ramp

Post by Matt Flynn »

Yeh, it's funny watching the capers down there - but not so funny when you are waiting. Maybe the long awaited Dinah Beach ramp pontoon will help things along, but I suspect it might just give the circus performers an extra spot to show off.

Speaking of the pontoon, has the NT Govt forgotten about it? It seems to be taking an awful long time.
SMITHY
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by SMITHY »

Matt i dont think they forgot about the pontoon at dinah but from what i can gather they are spending an extra 2 million on the wave pool. I think they are going to add the pontoon and a ramp to that for all of us to use :lol:
They say time is money, I dont have much money cause my times spent fishing
redcan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by redcan »

That is bl..dy awful when they rig up, at the top after pulling out and you cant turn around to back down the ramp.

I normally fish Nigel-style, Weekdays so no problems for me except trying to drag the tinny back down into the water after it beaches on an outgoing tide.

Dinah is still the pick of the ramps for me personally.

:cheers:
don't drink and ebay
Chronic
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Chronic »

Dinah ramp used to fit 3 boats launching or retrieving, then it got upgraded, now it would fit 5 if half the boaters around here had a clue :o
I always show courtesy at any ramp when i arrive, but after 5 minutes of circus acts ive had enough and i back my boat down and launch anyway. This works because my boat is off and car is parked before anyone gets near to have a go at me :idea: If someone is having trouble i always help out but as its been said some people think they have the right to hold-up half of darwins sunday roasts :evil:
I think courtesy signs would just get ignored. The daly river ramp has a great set-up, if you stuff around there youve got every car and trailer staring YOU down waiting, gets your launch/retrieve skillz up to scratch and doesnt give you a say in the 'HURRY UP' matter...
I dont think educating people will be easy at-all, but redcan's got it right, fishing during the week saves you all the hassle :mrgreen:

Just my thoughts... :cheers:
Go the live-baiters!

Beer will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no beer...
adam
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by adam »

Its interesting because I as per Red can, fish mainly on the week days and i usually fish alone, for which I have a system for that works.

That means I need very little distraction as its a system all of my own. I own a reasonable size boat ie. 5.2m.

I have on several occasions on landing had people help in my cause which ive been gratefull for, with very few dickheads involved. I can do it all my own, but a little help makes a big difference.

Dont know what this means, other than more :evil: :twisted: :naughty: :moon: :banghead: :fubird: :lol: :fu: people, use the ramp on weekends. :roll:

Or maybe more people like :fishing: :cheers: :catch: :rofl: :grin: :mrgreen: use it on week days.

But obviously i'll be on the look out for the :twisted: :fubird: and be well aware of the :cheers: :bow: :angel: :applause: :idea: people as they are sure to be, or should be FFF members.

ADIT: bring on the pontoon
unseen1
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by unseen1 »

I agree and disagree with what you guys are saying..

Alot of people out there are first time boaters. Probably never reveresed a trailer in there lives.

So as they get to the ramp they are already shitting themselves. Then the pressure of reversing down then getting the boat off etc etc.

I mean when I first started I remember people having a go at me cause I couldnt reverse straight. Think it was my 2nd time with the boat.

And being first time boaters. Alot dont know what is right and wrong in regards to ramp etiquette. You can ALWAYS tell who the new boaters are, and I personally dont mind waiting an extra 5mins or even helping them. Instead of getting angry at the top of the hill.

What goes around comes around and Darwin isnt very big at all.
brian helyar
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by brian helyar »

Took the missus to Middle arm one day and their was another bloke and his missus just got there before us. He made his lady reverse the trailer down the ramp while he stood and watched drinkin a green can. It took her about 15-20 but she got it in the end. he kept saying sorry to me. But you gotta start somewhere. I think it was probably a good idea she was driving as it was about 7am so i dont think he would have been capable of retreivine his boat anyway.
chezasnt
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by chezasnt »

I think this goes back to the old saying that 10% of the fishermen are catching 90% of the fish.

Thats because 10% of the fishermen know what they are doing. The answer is probably a bit more education. Maybe some signs at the boat ramp would help. Also it might be time for another speel in the paper Matt.

It is definitely getting worse though probably due to the latest influx of interstaters bringing thier non-NT way with them that upsets a lot of long term locals including me.

I agree with Harmesy, you should never let some fool spoil your days fishing. Sit back have a beer and wait till the idiots move on.

Cheers
Cheza
Timbo
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Timbo »

WOW fella's think your getting a little excited here. We all need to show a little grace to people who have no idea and maybe be there to lend a helping hand rather than just pointing the finger. Lets face it not everyone is going to act the way we want them to at boat ramps. I see it all the time people pushing and shoving to get in next. Lets not get known as the Forum that just takes it out on everyone else. I don't know if there will be a solution to the problem?
Failure is only an event, Not a lifestyle
2rods
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by 2rods »

Boat ramps and wa#kers seem to go hand in hand some days.... I have told plenty of people of the hijinx I have seen at east arm ramp after work :bonk: :bonk:

Generaly a friendly comment or 2 will give people the idea that they are annoying the hell out of you :mrgreen:

If they are new to it all (and yes they stand out like dogs goolies) get out of your car and help the poor buggers 8-) sitting there getting ticked off with newbies makes you just as bad as the wa#kers that do know better but don't change there ways IMHO.

I enjoy helping the newbies .... if they can't reverse down the ramp with out the boat on the trailer...... go and guide them. If dad has his 2 kids holding the boat in 15knts + swell while he gets the car.. go over and hold the boat with them..... that way the newbies will learn the correct things to do at the ramp :mrgreen:

I am the first to admit that I have stopped at the top of the ramp to de rig the boat when no one was about......then 1/2 way through 3 boats turn up :bonk: :bonk: ... I just move out of the way..

As for the pontoon issues.... the sooner the better..... now I have a glass boat a pontoon will make launching so much easier.... on me and the deckie :grin: :grin:

(soap box put back under the bed.....for now :angel: )
:cheers:

2RODS

Depression is merely anger without enthusiasm.

If I can't be a good example, then I will just have to serve as a horrible warning...

As John Wayne once said:

"Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid."
Faulksy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

boat ramp behaviour

Post by Faulksy »

Have been on both sides of this one. The only thing that I wiold add is that once upon a time there was a great commradaree(sp) between boaties and everyone helped each other out, be it at the ramp or on the water. (enter "rescue 1") It seems to me to have gone by the wayside and I dont rekon we are better of for it. :???: