Is this real? Anyone seen it with barra?

Global warming and overfishing. And any good news we can dig up.
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Re: Is this real? Anyone seen it with barra?

Post by Matt Flynn »

https://link.springer.com/article/10.10 ... 014-1869-1

Quote: A summer creel survey conducted on Charleston Lake revealed that 17.9 % of anglers interviewed reported finding at least one ingested SPL when cleaning lake trout. However, when we sampled lake trout (using gill nets) and smallmouth bass (by rod and reel), we found few ingested SPLs (2.2 and 3.4 %, respectively). Based on the examination of fish that contained SPLs and the near-shore surveys, the most common SPLs were soft stick baits/wacky worms.

https://www.bassmaster.com/news/dont-di ... -can-kill/

Quote: Ford hadn’t intended to keep the big bass that he caught while fishing Texas’ Lake Amistad. But because it was deep hooked, he put it in the livewell to see if it would survive. It did not. As he was dressing it out, he noted a large plastic mass in its stomach. Closer examination revealed the blob to be a dozen plastic baits. “It was amazing to see all of those worms in there,” he told me. “I don’t know how it was going to pass them.”

So, apparently quite common in largemouth bass (USA), but I've not heard of it with barramundi, or other native fish. Can't imagine it not happening though. A case for not using scented plastics?
theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by theodosius »

Yeah there are some pretty unpleasant hidden sides to fishing- "releases" after 5 mins of sitting on a hot deck and taking photos, cracking their necls by holding them badly, lure damage to fish, everything about livebaiting, the number of fishos who are total pigs with their rubbish, trespassing, 30metre deep releases (and then complaints about sharks), guns on board for "protection", drunkards in control of a vessel
I'm surprised we haven't been targeted more by enviro warriors... We'll need to pick up our game to keep our hobby alive I think
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Rubbish is my pet hate, often fished with the old man many years ago at Onkaparinga River in the fields, could not understand how people walked off and left all their cr.p there.

The soft plastics thing relates to littering, coz only the occasional one is lost off the hook in my experience.

As for the Greens .... there is a huge conservation push from fishos, look at what OzFish is doing with shellfish reefs, resnagging etc. And also amateur lobbying against habitat threats.

Not sure the Greens are doing much in comparison, but they have their place obviously. Got a feeling that in 50 years people will say "if only we had listened to the Greens".