Shady camp road & questions

Going this weekend? Planning a tour? Need info? A fishing partner? Just ask ...
hobbsy
Seadog
Seadog

Shady camp road & questions

Post by hobbsy »

Anyone got the latest on the road condition to Shady? Have the upgrades made it a year-round road? I've only been there once.

Is there a channel in & out of Swim creek (ocean - creek)?

Does swim creek hold water on low tide so as if you miss the tide, you have water in the creek to fish while waiting for the ocean to come back in?

Any help apprechiated.

Insanity is a good place to hide from reality!

It is not how long the fish is but how long you have fished & how long you've wished.......
scottmac
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Shady camp road & questions

Post by scottmac »

Swim Creek is pretty narrow, and from what I’ve heard, doesn’t flow as much since they built a new barrage. Will definitely be worth a look.
Not much of a channel, not all tide on springs, that’s for sure.
I wouldn’t lock in in any of the Chambers Bay feeder creeks. Been there, done that! (Once).
The road will be poophouse, but usable I would guess.

Be sure to send me a PM if it’s firing! :D
hobbsy
Seadog
Seadog

Post by hobbsy »

thanks for the reply.

We used to lock in on the low even over night in the small creeks when we lived o Groote, could only access on a higish tide.

It is not how long the fish is but how long you have fished & how long you've wished.......
theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by theodosius »

I was there a couple of weeks ago, heaps of bait and threadies. No real channel, just keep an eye on the depth and keep retreating as the tide drops. I wouldn't bother trying to lock in and fish
ozdodge
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ozdodge »

Road last Friday was potholed but not boggy.

River was dirty but should be better now the wind has abated.

Heaps of water coming over the barrage.

Good luck 👍
ozdodge

Don't crowd me - I'm likely to bite!
hobbsy
Seadog
Seadog

Post by hobbsy »

Thanks for the replies, very helful.

Can I ask if any of the coastal creeks are worth over nighting in? Love, Thrings, Carmour or Marsh? They look a little bigger than Swim.

scottmac, what was the bad experience in the creeks, insects?

theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by theodosius »

I wouldn't bother stranding in any of them, insects would be pretty bad at night. I've fished the midnight high in Carmour before
hobbsy
Seadog
Seadog

Post by hobbsy »

theodosius wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 12:31 pm I wouldn't bother stranding in any of them, insects would be pretty bad at night. I've fished the midnight high in Carmour before
Fair call. I have a full rain & insect cover, just wondering if there would still be enough water in them to skip a tide. We used to do it on Groote in a couple of small creeks.

I guess I'll slowley have to scope it out.

scottmac
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by scottmac »

We locked in once at Marsh during the day. Long day, dirty rushing water at bottom of tide. And mozzies are thick even during the day if you disturb the mangroves.

Better off heading up Tommy/Wildman/Sampan etc for the low. Still might not catch fish, but can move around.
Lock-in if you’re really keen, might get the first bite before the other boats can get in, but you’ll be drunk by then from sitting around doing nothing and drinking beers!
Not a bad thing I suppose! :cheers: :D

Can camp in Carmour. Put anchor down in the pool below the barrage, just don’t leave too much rope out, as it roars out and in and small pool to swing around with the tide.