South Alligator info

Going this weekend? Planning a tour? Need info? A fishing partner? Just ask ...
hobbsy
Seadog
Seadog

South Alligator info

Post by hobbsy »

Howdy do all,

I'm off to the south alligator this weekend & hoping some legends can help. My first time there.

I've read the rules for fishing Kakadu & can't see where I can't use a dead mullet that I've caught elsewhere and frozen to take there as bait, can I do this? all i can see is that it can't be "alive".

Does anyone know if the sandbar at the ramp has a channel to get to the river? I've seen pictures but they don't define if you could hug the bank either way to get in or out, some drone footage would be awsome.

Insanity is a good place to hide from reality!

It is not how long the fish is but how long you have fished & how long you've wished.......
Rawz
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: South Alligator info

Post by Rawz »

Looks like low tide is no good for retrieve or launch.

https://www.facebook.com/753471655/vide ... 939330709/
theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by theodosius »

I've heard the mud bar is pretty big at the moment, so watch the tides
If you're aiming for runoff barra, you're better off using lures
rip'n'tear
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by rip'n'tear »

If your heading upstream you've probably only got to worry about the silt at the ramp unless the rockbars are not real deep. Downstream you'd want someone experienced guiding you it's pretty sketchy. We followed someone down and couldn't believe the mud bars we'd crossed coming down once the tide had dropped.
stroma
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by stroma »

You can use a dead mullet as bait but it has to have been caught in the park and not caught elsewhere and taken into the park. The issue is that you can’t use a trap or net in the park to catch the bait in the first place and so you have to have caught the bait on a line and hook or perhaps some other method. This may be feasible for tarpon but catching mullet on a line within the park may be a harder task.
The rules are in place to prevent anyone from translocating (bringing) any potential diseased fish into the park from outside.

I think you can sneak out the downstream side of the sandbar if the tide isn’t too low. Once the tide drops out I don’t think there is any exit to the main channel.