Shark fishing out Dundee

Going this weekend? Planning a tour? Need info? A fishing partner? Just ask ...
Oh_Robz

Shark fishing out Dundee

Post by Oh_Robz »

I heard in latest report that the shark population has exploded in the Dundee area, are they mainly lemon sharks or is there a fair bit of tigers around there too? Couple mates want a set of tiger jaws

jabsy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Shark fishing out Dundee

Post by jabsy »

Caught plenty of lemons and reef sharks out there, but never a tiger anywhere in over 20 years....
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

never a tiger anywhere in over 20 years....
Strange isn't it, but they are there.

Had a huge one come up to the surface at Bynoe entrance years ago, and 10 minutes later a smaller one, yet hardly seen them otherwise over 20 years.

Sicklefin lemons, tawny nurse, hammerheads and blacktips seem to be the common ones around Darwin, with bull sharks in the rivers and bays.

Had spinner sharks jumping all around the boat at the Fentons once, that was weird.
Lats
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Lats »

I guided out there a bit last year. They are everywhere. Millions of them. Nurse sharks are bad but not as bad as the big grey ones. Not sure of the exact species, grey reef, whaler???? They 6-9 foot long and many around 80kgs at guess... super fast. If I had elderly, females, kids or people that obviously lacked strength and coordination, I simply would not take them to a lot of places
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Not sure what those whalers are, might be grey reef sharks. There are so many whaler-like species.

Always impressive when a hammerhead comes in wired, they get pretty excited, and rays know when there is one feeding because you see the rays flee into the ultra-shallows.
theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by theodosius »

I reckon we don't see many tigers pulled in because the ones I've seen free swimming are huge, I reckon you'd never get one near a boat unless you had some pretty serious gear
NinjaFish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by NinjaFish »

See em around the reefy parts at Mandorah from time to time.