Fotofish 2022 - all entries on this thread

Gibbsy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Fotofish 2022 - all entries on this thread

Post by Gibbsy »

Did a rub over to west arm mainly for a Prop test and an excuse to take the rods. Was a bit slow going in morning drop a legal fish on the frog on the flats. As the tide dropped bounced from creek to creek and fished the drains. Spotted alot of smaller barra cruising the dirty water lines. Managed to stick one about 52 on a batiste popper. Things died off over the low. Change of plans and head up a section of West I don't usually target for the incoming to get in the Lee of the light afternoon breeze. We'll found the bait and for a good hour or so the salmon were on the chew smashing the jellies working a narrow dirty water line.plenty of short strikes. Got a nice little blue salmon to start off with then a few casts later stayed connected to a nice harbour thready. Bled the thready for a feed. Co tinued flicking next cast a little queenie smashed the atomic prong. Few casts later had a nice little surprise with my first giant herring.

Tide was nearly at my favourite time to start the frogging again.
Back onto the flats spotted 7 barra in a stretch of about 50m but only one that was legal. Managed a few more surface strikes but dropped them on the jump. Just wasn't going my way this time.
Trip home was great nice and flat made in just in time to beat a stor. Front rolling in from the south.

New Prop went real well thanks Marcus. And thanks Matt for the 2021 lure pack was like Xmas in Feb.

Cheers
Gibbsy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Magic start to the year!

Yes, nostalgia shots are good for points, as long as it is interesting :D :mrgreen:
Sullo
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Sullo »

Flicking vibes before it rained and yesterday flicking culverts after 300mm of rain
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Gibbsy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Gibbsy »

Goog going sullo! Nice trout

Cheers
Gibbsy
Sullo
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Sullo »

Fished a colour change as the tide pushed back in to a side creek
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Great pix, good to see a bit of fresh water, looks like more on the way :D
Rawz
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Rawz »

Another trip to have a flick at the barrage - plenty of rats.
IMG_2979.JPG
IMG_2986.jpg
IMG_2978.jpg
IMG_2987.jpg
Ivan
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Ivan »

I decided to battle the rain today and managed a jewie in amongst a heap of sharks & large Powertail.
Gibbsy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Gibbsy »

Good jewie Ivan! And thanks for update Rawz looks like that water has come up a bit more. Hopefully will go good in a couple of weeks mate.

Cheers
Gibbsy
ozdodge
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ozdodge »

no better way to spend a morning that sitting on a boat ramp waiting for the tide to come in :bricks:
South.jpg
ozdodge

Don't crowd me - I'm likely to bite!
Rawz
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Rawz »

A few fish from around Darwin and Shady Barrage
IMG_3001.JPG
IMG_2997.jpg
Mid tide at the barrage today

Only rats and tarpon once again, the dirt road in is flatter than a Pakistan test wicket, should be prime for the weekend.
IMG_3010.JPG
IMG_3011[19778].jpg
IMG_3008.JPG
High tide
IMG_3016.JPG
IMG_3018.JPG
Mary River Lagoon ramp because someone was asking about this the other day
IMG_3019.JPG
Ivan
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Ivan »

Another great day on the water.
Sullo
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Sullo »

Jewie from last night
Maark
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Maark »

Having a Margarita watching the storm in the distance and cooking a fresh fillet in garlic butter. How good is the Territory!
Gibbsy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Gibbsy »

Been a few weeks since posting to be honest have been buggered after the trips.

Have done a few trips over past couple of weeks mainly in harbour as I cannot be bothered with crowds at the big rivers. Took the step daughter out on all trips. First one was night trip in East arm. Stepdaughter showed me up hooked two landed two. I on the other hand hooked three on surface but on boated one.

The following sunday did a west arm run. Hooked some under size Barra that were out in numbers and missed some better ones. The rains had the threadies going. But had to work hard. Sat on some fish for over half an hour and finally hooked decent thready only to have it swim at the boat quicker than I could wind and dropped him by the time I caught up to the slack.

This past weekend with heaps decided on some half day trips on the flats considering wind had died out. Had my first Barra on popper in first half and hour.
About fifteen minutes later my stepdaughter had got a nice flats Barra on the frog on her new reel. So reel was christened. Ended up spotting upto 20 Barra on the flats. Sight casting heaps of smaller fish and spooking alot also. Some of which were larger models around the 70-80 mark. Just as I went to shift from one flat to the next had a Barra in the sixties pop up a few metres in front of the boat. I turned the leccy of and droped a zerek shrimp in front of him. A few twitches and he didn't hesitate to smash the zerek. Always great to watch them sit there and stalk your lure. After the third legal for the day and shifting spots on the flat spotted a nice muddy swimming across the bottom. Managed to sneak up on him and first shot with hand spear had him sorted. Ended up boating around 8 Barra, but only 3 legal.

The following day made the dash across the harbour to the flats. The rain on Sunday night had dirtied water Abit but as I expected brought the salmon out in numbers hooked a couple of Blues, was harder to spot the Barra with more discolouration to the water so ended up spooking alot more barra.l this time around. Did still managed 10 Barra up to the low 50s mainly sight casted. Managed to drop yet another good thready straight after the hook up on a 2.5inch zman slim swimz. Both days on the flats had glass outs and back home by 1:30-2 each day.

Cheers
Gibbsy