Treble upgrade

blowski
Seadog
Seadog

Treble upgrade

Post by blowski »

Here’s one for you.
Recently upgraded my vibes to 6x VMCs same size roughly as the other hooks on the vibe whilst they still swam fine i didn’t hook as many hook ups. I constantly got bumped but no hookups.

Has anyone noticed something similar, does a thicker hook reduce your hookup!

I’m about to upgrade all my classics as the standard hooks are average what’s everyone use for the best hookups

Gibbsy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Treble upgrade

Post by Gibbsy »

I have been upgrading my lures with either BKK's or Owners have found hook up rate better than the VMC hooks.
Also been upsizing split rings slightly so hooks have a bit more dangle so that may be helping also.

Cheers
Gibbsy
Sullo
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Sullo »

Heavy Owner st 66 in 4x , light st 35 but go up a size
Sullo
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Sullo »

Gibbsy wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:25 pm I have been upgrading my lures with either BKK's or Owners have found hook up rate better than the VMC hooks.
Also been upsizing split rings slightly so hooks have a bit more dangle so that may be helping also.

Cheers
Gibbsy
Have'nt used the BKK but plenty of guys use them in the dam here. Just handling lures with the owners you notice how sticky the hooks are.
Gibbsy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Gibbsy »

Sullo wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:53 pm
Gibbsy wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:25 pm I have been upgrading my lures with either BKK's or Owners have found hook up rate better than the VMC hooks.

Cheers
Gibbsy
Have'nt used the BKK but plenty of guys use them in the dam here. Just handling lures with the owners you notice how sticky the hooks are.
Hey sullo have found the owners slightly stickier than the BKKs
But have used the BKK fangs with good success even with surface Barra. Been using the BKK main because my local shop rarely has size owners I want when I buy them still very sticky hooks alot stickier than the VMCs.

Even been using both the owners and BKK fangs as stingers when running 5inch plastics. When I boated 14 Barra in harbour a few months back was pretty much running that lure all day with the stinger grabbing them well everytime the 6/0 jighead hook missed just about everytime .

Cheers
Gibbsy
I Wish
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by I Wish »

For your smaller lures. Use the BKK Viper 41. They are lighter and very very sticky.
But i find that they do rust a lot quicker than the BKK Raptors.
dogtooth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by dogtooth »

VMC 6X are a little too thick in my opinion. I have upgraded my lures with a mixtures of :

BKK Fangs 4066-4x-NP (not quite thick)
BKK Raptor Z (thick)
Owner ST 66 (thick)
Ichikawa Kamakiri (not quick thick)
Decoy Y-S81 (not quite thick but light enough)
Mustad Saltism

Each brand of treble has different thickness and weight, so it may positively or negatively influence the buoyancy of your lure, depending what you wanna achieve eg. making a floating lure suspend.

Another factor to consider is the tackle you use. Gotta make sure your rod / Line/ Leader can work synergistically to strike the treble home. No point upgrading the treble if your rod's taper is not fast enough to set the hook.

Hence I divide my lures for each rod I use to ensure the terminals can match the rod.