Bynoe run

And jacks, salmon, jewfish - tell us how you went. NT, FNQ and Norwest.
Gibbsy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Bynoe run

Post by Gibbsy »

Managed to get out for a quick run to bynoe prior the issuing of the cyclone watch/warning. Nice easy launch at sunup.
Managed to miss all of the rain bar some very very light sprinkle.
Had a couple of mates with me to explore some new ground as have not spent much time at bynoe. Quick run to the spot and started exploring the flats while water was up heard some good fish feeding high in the mangroves so anticipation grew.
As the tide dropped we did a bit of exploring into the creek first fish of the day being a blue salmon on a popper. Was fairly slow going but knowing this as conditions weren't spectacular. But it was more of a reconnaissance trip for us. Throughout the day heard the odd Barra boof up until low tide picking up a couple more blue salmon and a small cod. Had some lunch over low the explored a small Rock bar. A few casts in and my plastic was smashed resulting in a 42cm jack. My mate hooked one also on the very next cast.

Things slowed up Abit so we pushed up the system as the tide turned. First cast into a junction with a chasebait mullet was belted by a nice Barra around the 70s only to have it throw the lure. We sat at this spot for a while to no avail do pushed back to the mouth near the flats. Decided to troll a while waiting for enough water to venture back onto the flat. What a great choice this was as first 100m sounded a good fish on the sounder to have my mates bomber smashed. Saw the fish thrash on surface calling it for a Barra until he got it closer to the boat when we realised he had Jagged a nice thready. It was all smiles as this fish was landed as said mate had only gotten his first thready the weekend before with me and no where near the size of this one. We kept trolling until water was high enough to creep onto the flats. As the tide starting hitting the baby mangroves there was heaps of blue and threadfin salmon working jelly prawns with the odd boof here and there.

I got a rat Barra on a frog and then finished the day jagging a blue salmon on a zerek shrimp. Had a easy trip back with flat water back to the ramp.

Got back to darwin and found it had copped copious amounts of rain throughout the day.

Cheers
Gibbsy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Bynoe run

Post by theodosius »

Nice job, interesting lure to use (saltwater frog!)
Gibbsy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Gibbsy »

Hey Jack they actually work really well when water is up over baby mangroves and into the mangroves and normal lures can't get into strike zone. Have caught Barra and blue salmon on them. Can literally cast right into the nasty stuff with them. Guys in North Queensland use them the same way with estuary jacks and Barra with good results.

You should give it a shot next time your on the flats mate.

Cheers
Gibbsy
theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by theodosius »

Cheers, I use weedless plastics in the same situations but I think I have some old frogs somewhere
Sullo
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Sullo »

theodosius wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 7:56 pm Cheers, I use weedless plastics in the same situations but I think I have some old frogs somewhere
Drew m on ytube has a heap of vids on skipping frogs in the creeks
Gibbsy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Gibbsy »

As sullo mentioned drew m is one of them in Qld that uses them extensively.
Obviously most scenarios on the flats when. Working the baby mangroves and that the water is quite shallow hence why the zman frogs work well on the surface also a hell of a lot of fun with the surface explosions.

I've been using the white zman hardlegs with success running them on a very lightly weight tt SWS chinlock hook. The perk of having just a tiny bit of weight if the water is a tad deeper you can let the frog slow sink a bit and work like any other plastic or just steady wind and the frog works across the surface.

Goodluck if you give it a crack over past few months I don't do any Barra fishing without having one rod setup with a frog.

Cheers
Gibbsy
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Great bag of Xmas fish there.
theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by theodosius »

Will give it a crack next dry season, love a good surface strike!
Gibbsy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Gibbsy »

Too easy mate, let me know how it pans out for you.