Frank the Tank

ronje
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Frank the Tank

Post by ronje »

Let me introduce you to "Frank the Tank".

Frank lives in a very small dam on the Fitzroy floodplain at Rockhampton. Frank also has smaller barramundi as company.

The landowner became aware that some barramundi existed in the dam but didn't think much about it for a long time. L/O thought it would be nice to tag these fish to track where they went to when they escaped and asked a friend of mine would they oblige. So I turned up with my friend.

We tagged a few @ 61cm. L/O pleased with that.

During conversation over a beer, L/O showed me a photo of a barra of "about 80 cm" (L/O words) that he caught there in October last year.

Enter "Frank".
Frank 1 Anon.png
Frank 2 anon.png
It was quickly pretty obvious that Frank was a bit more than "80cm" and (by the colouring) that he had been in that little dam for quite a while. So he was indeed a Frank and not a Frances.

I can cast easily from one side of the dam up onto the bank on the other side. About 40m. That's the width. Lengthwise its 140 m. Size of a bathtub as far as dams go.

Just looking at the dam and the topography, you'd think that there was no way that any barra bent on recruitment could possibly find its way there (let alone a reliable food source as well).

Frank is considered to be a "farm pet" now. L/O has goats and said that none have gone missing in the vicinity of the dam so must be plenty of food in there.

Been sworn to secrecy about the location of the property and dam to avoid having the usual d/heads trying to catch Frank. And that's ok by me.

Just shows what amazing things are around in this world in which we live. And we only have to take more notice of our surroundings to appreciate them.

Good luck to Frank and the L/O.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Regards
Ronje
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Re: Frank the Tank

Post by Matt Flynn »

God dam!

Great post :mrgreen: