Dampier Peninsula - Buccaneer Archipelago marine park plans

Talk about bungled boat ramps, net buybacks, marine no-go zones, mining disasters etc here.
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Dampier Peninsula - Buccaneer Archipelago marine park plans

Post by Matt Flynn »

https://www.dpaw.wa.gov.au/parks/manage ... -surrounds

A lot of space being locked up under sanctuaries and 'Cultural Protection Areas' where you can only fish with a recognised tour operator.

scartissue
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Re: Dampier Peninsula - Buccaneer Archipelago marine park plans

Post by scartissue »

absolutely infuriating is putting it lightly, this came out about a year or 2 ago on a rec fish facebook page and it only mustered a few hundred comments and a lot weren't as f'd off as i was. rec fishos have got no hope in this country they just keeping chipping away at taking bits of coast line here and there, we dont really have a leg to stand on. i wish we were as militant and well funded as the american NRA.
NinjaFish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by NinjaFish »

Seems like another grab for the dollar and power by someone with ideas and I thought the NT mob were being greedy till i saw those maps. Was trying to work out how many waypoints one would have to put on the sounder to identify the crooked boundaries let alone all the square bits. I gave up!

Government gave em back most of this land but it seems that’s not enough. Maybe in a few years we’ll have to pay to look at the moon and the stars too.. when the tourist dollars don’t support the ‘big idea’ they’re working on.
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

It's a huge area when you consider that the 'cultural protection' areas are basically fishing lockouts, as only approved fishing tours can fish in them. I suspect we'll see a lot more of these zones in future marine parks and park rezonings, as it is a way to extract 'fishing royalties'.

Across Australia, state and federal marine park zones, Aboriginal zones, fisheries management zones, increasingly complex fishing regulations ... yeesh.