landbased in July

Leaving town and willing to share an old spot? Post 'em up and make the world a better place.
dirvin21
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

landbased in July

Post by dirvin21 »

heading up to Darwin in July with my better half, hoping to hit some landbased spots around Darwin casting lures, just looking for some suggestions or advice on areas we should have a go at or avoid
any info is greatly appreciated
cheers
Dave

Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Re: landbased in July

Post by Matt Flynn »

Lee Point and East Point are good July spots for queenfish and trevally, with a chance of a mackie.

Lee Point is best at high tide, while East Point has various ledges that can be fished on different tides.

If you drive out to Dundee the foreshore rocks can produce big barra, blue salmon, queenfish and trevally at high tide.

Buffalo Creek produces barra off the bank.

Stokes Hill Wharf produces all sorts of fish but is tide dependent as quite a current rips through. There are squid and sardines/herring to be had around the pylons.

Must always keep crocs in mind even on the beaches and rocks, but especially at Buffalo Creek.
dirvin21
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by dirvin21 »

Matt Flynn wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 8:22 am Lee Point and East Point are good July spots for queenfish and trevally, with a chance of a mackie.

Lee Point is best at high tide, while East Point has various ledges that can be fished on different tides.

If you drive out to Dundee the foreshore rocks can produce big barra, blue salmon, queenfish and trevally at high tide.

Buffalo Creek produces barra off the bank.

Stokes Hill Wharf produces all sorts of fish but is tide dependent as quite a current rips through. There are squid and sardines/herring to be had around the pylons.

Must always keep crocs in mind even on the beaches and rocks, but especially at Buffalo Creek.
thanks for the info
we'll definitely have crocs on our mind
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

No worries - if you are keen there are also milkfish, whiting and the odd tuskfish to be had off the rocks. Blue salmon often pass by and they take most baits. Small garfish can be berleyed up from the beaches.
dirvin21
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by dirvin21 »

thanks for that
I've found a couple of culverts towards channel island on google earth, worth a go?
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Channel Island foreshore is a good landbased spot, walking out to the seaward rocks, fish it in calm weather.

Bit of a walk involved.

Don't know about culverts out that way ... culverts are usually a wet season thing, there may be tidal culverts out there.
NinjaFish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by NinjaFish »

I used to pull up here to chuck on the safety gear before going into Inpex when it was under construction and saw a few in the low 60’s caught in the mornings. Big eddies as the water forces itself through the culverts. Never fished it myself though.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by theodosius »

Channel Island with good footwear and an eye on the tide
Edo
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Edo »

If you head out to Kakadu for a look you should check out Cahills crossing, plenty of Barra but just watch out for the crocs. If you're fishing a few hours before the high tide then the water is generally clear enough to see them as they have to crawl over some shallow water to come up to where you would be fishing but stay alert. Some days i haven't seen a single croc, other days you will see plenty of lizards.
dirvin21
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by dirvin21 »

Thanks for the replies, really appreciate it
Tightlines2
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Tightlines2 »

Has anyone ever done any good at the little inlet western side of Lee Point? At a high tide the water pushes right up along that mangrove walk. Worth setting Mud Crab pots at the mouth and up creek a bit????
Rawz
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Rawz »

That sounds like Sandy creek.

Not sure on the crabs, maybe blue swimmers if your lucky.

I've caught barra on the falling tide at the mouth and seen salmon caught on live bait, only fished it in the wet.
theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by theodosius »

The boardwalk is a good spot for jacks tightlines. Got 3x 45cm there once
Tightlines2
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Tightlines2 »

Cheers boys. I'm keen to get down there and have a flick. Was thinking if there was crabs around i'd throw the pots in. Might try for a few blueys.
slug
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by slug »

Just a tip - I think Sandy Ck is an abbreviation of Sandfly Ck - take yer Rid.