Club Marine / TIO screwing over NT boaties

Talk about bungled boat ramps, net buybacks, marine no-go zones, mining disasters etc here.
ozdodge
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Club Marine / TIO screwing over NT boaties

Post by ozdodge » Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:43 pm

Hello all,

I recently received my boat insurance renewal from Club Marine / TIO. The renewal notice included a new excess applicable to NT boats only, for underwater impact to motor damage (ie. probably the most common claimable event in our region - eg. hitting a rockbar or log). For my sized motor, the excess is $5,000! :bricks:

Club Marine change to excess for NT boats - April 2021.jpg

This makes insuring with Club Marine / TIO untenable for me, and after many years of loyalty to TIO (who shifted me to Club Marine) I am now forced to find a new insurer. :banghead:

I am extremely disappointed in Club Marine / TIO for forcing this change on me :fu: - be very careful when your renewal notice comes through that you think about whether it makes sense to continue, or to move insurers.

I am in the process of obtaining quotes from Elders, Nutrien, Trident, New Wave Marine and Nautilus Marine. Has anyone had positive or negative experiences with any of these insurers? - thanks!

cheers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ozdodge

Don't crowd me - I'm likely to bite!

Swoffa
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Club Marine / TIO screwing over NT boaties

Post by Swoffa » Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:02 pm

I have been with Nautilus Marine for over 10 years and made 2 claims. No problems at all and very easy to deal with.
What angler can cross over a bridge without peering over its side

Marro
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Marro » Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:43 pm

Interesting. I just checked my TIO/Club Marine policy and it makes no mention of it. It expires in June so I expect it’s coming. I’ve been with Club Marine for years and never made a claim so if they do the same to me I’ll also be looking at alternatives. I recall talking to a bloke at the boat ramp a year or so ago saying that engine claims were on the increase and we should expect our premiums to increase. He suggested many were deliberate incidents in order to replace/upgrade motors. Maybe this is the response.

nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad » Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:55 pm

Yep. Just took out a p I'll icy for a qld boat with cm and they said that they have an additional excess if I take it to nt and strike a submerged object. Only on renewal or new policies

NinjaFish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by NinjaFish » Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:38 pm

Yep. My Club Marine insurance also just renewed with same conditions

Just think, it all started at the Daly in the comps and their rep as a witness (being sponsor) seeing at least 6-7 damaged or complete lost engines in just one comp alone a couple of years back, - brand new 150 torn off and submerged prior to the comp start one year from memory!

I just wish they could penalise the peanuts that think every bit of water is a racecourse.

Hope to hear back how you go ozdodge.

theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by theodosius » Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:16 pm

I'll be changing, let us know what you find out from the other insurers