Melville bay Barra growth rate

Your home if you fish from anything that isn't floating.
b-radical
Seadog
Seadog

Melville bay Barra growth rate

Post by b-radical »

So just last week I managed to land a few Barra down at the local water outlet. This nearly caused a slight heart attack as I had hooked a Barra with a tag in it. Once landed and scratched off the algae is was a blue tag. Bugger first tag ever and it’s the wrong colour. I put it back 10 minutes later another Barra with another tag...... blue again.

A couple of photos msg to mates and I was put onto a number to a local guy who tags Barra in the bay for research. Turns out the average Barra is 44cm and the Barra I caught were tagged just under 2 years ago and have only grown 6cm since then. Was told there is another place near Weipa where Barra also have a slow growth rate. Reasons why this happens I do not know and that’s why this guy is tagging these fish. NT gov won’t fund a program so I’m assuming he’s set up a spreadsheet to keep a log in the mean time. Anyways just something to share with you mob.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

:cheers:
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Re: Melville bay Barra growth rate

Post by Matt Flynn »

Very interesting. Those waters not as fertile as Shady Camp wetlands etc??
ronje
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ronje »

Any chance of a "heads-up" on contact details of that guy you spoke to?
Regards
Ronje
theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by theodosius »

Wow that's slow
Good to see you're getting some out there Brad!
b-radical
Seadog
Seadog

Post by b-radical »

G-day all, yes Matt not much run-off over this way just a few drains which spill out red coloured water. Track is pothole/wash out central a mate arrived last night from Darwin 18 hours straight through. The local giddies crossing has come up and dropped very quickly the last couple of days. Waiting for a mate to get back from Qld so we can scope out the Cato again. Maybe something there i am not sure.
Heavy rains at the moment aren't likely boating conditions this weekend.
Nothing massive at all Jack still trying to crack the 70 mark at the Cato, recent netters have potentially wiped it out for the year so just have to see.
:cheers:
Daz12
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Daz12 »

PM sent b-radical