Busted Gearbox

Buy, sell and giveaway. Private sales and FFF sponsors only.
tristan.sloan
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Busted Gearbox

Post by tristan.sloan »

Hi Guys,

Looking for some advice. I managed to hit a turtle recently in the boat and after replacing the prop which was bent I kept on fishing as the motor didn't shown any signs of damage apart from the bent prop.

Long story short after dropping the boat into get serviced at precision marine today I got told that the gearbox is F^&ked and they are recommending a new motor. which is a bit too steep at about $10k for the missus to sign off on.

I though this was a bit weird, as far as I know I can get a whole new gearbox for my 60Hp Yamaha for about $2500

I'm going to put in an insurance claim but in case I am unlucky enough to have it knocked back I was wondering if anybody else has ever experienced this problem and what the total cost was (roughly) to get the motor up and running.

Thanks in advance lads

P.S I am going to drop it into In & Outboard for a second opinion too

-Tris

ronje
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Busted Gearbox

Post by ronje »

2nd opinion, Tristan.
Regards
Ronje
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

I assume they found something wrong with the motor as well as the gearbox, otherwise it would be just a case of fixing the gearbox?

Many a bent prop shaft has caused gearbox issues but I am not aware of it flogging out the whole engine. Sounds like there is additional damage, Ron is right, second opinion.
slackdog

Post by slackdog »

What year/model is it?
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

I almost tore the leg off on a 70 hp honda on a Daly rockbar and the repair was less than $5k for a complete new leg (gear box, prop etc)
All thru insurance
Then again, if your insurer is willing to pay out for a new donk, go for it

How's the turtle?? :)
tristan.sloan
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by tristan.sloan »

Thanks guys.

Slackdog its a 2005 four stroke, got about 700 hours on it, mainly trolling.

Turtle was practically cut in half, poor bugger!

In & outboard seem to think it should just be a matter of repairing or replacing the gear box but they wont be able to have a decent look at it until they open back up on the fourth. Fingers crossed!
slackdog

Post by slackdog »

Ah righto, I've got a 2008 50hp gearbox in good nic. Thought the 50/60hp were essentially the same outfit but given yours is three years older it probly wont work. Thought I might be help you out thats all
ronje
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ronje »

Tristan, be aware that Yammie brought out a Hi-Thrust gearbox model for getting out of a standing start hole quickly which also takes a different prop.

I have one (2018 model 60hp) but don't know how far back the Hi-Thrust gearbox models go.
Regards
Ronje