Ruins of settlement @ Escape Cliffs Cape Hotham NT

Going this weekend? Planning a tour? Need info? A fishing partner? Just ask ...
mickkk
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Ruins of settlement @ Escape Cliffs Cape Hotham NT

Post by mickkk »

I have been there. There is very little ruins there really. Nothing compared to the Victorian settlement at cobourg.
There is a few water Rusted steel riveted tanks, 1m2. There is the slab of the main hut in the pictures. It’s says it was 25m back from the cliffs but it’s 9 but it’s about 12 now.
Back in the day the cliffs were Visible from sea, but now covered over with mangroves.
We went from the creek. Wasn’t too far of a walk. We locked in the creek, we would have spent 2 hrs searching the ruins. Then proceeded to catch bugger all crabs or fish in the creek.
I think from memory it was around 4 m needed to get in and out. Seen a big arse croc there too.
Choppers land just on the other side of the creek and have a flick, so maybe there’s fish there sometimes.

Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

The creek has a hole just inside on the bend that had a groper in it once when I was there, or at least that's what it looked like on the sounder. Has to be a spot to drop a livie.

Caught more barra though in the mangrove roots around the entrance of the marsh near where the water runs out over the sand. Interesting place to explore.

Never did go to the 'ruins'. Must have been a helluva place to be back in the day - no pub, no Maccas, no tackle shop ...
theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by theodosius »

Cheers for the follow up, I've often wondered what was left up there
mickkk
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by mickkk »

Fella lives in Nightcliff. I got a few books from him. Well worth the read.