Durack Lakes barra

Your home if you fish from anything that isn't floating.
keenfisho24
Gold Member
Gold Member

Durack Lakes barra

Post by keenfisho24 »

Went down to try my luck two days ago. Popped down to the nearest Lakes, got a live bait and threw it out. Within 2 minutes Hooke don't a barra around 60cm. Ended up taking him home for a pretty good feed. Also shined the torch around at night and got around a half of dozen cherries and half doz teddies. Good feed.

keenfisho24
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Durack Lakes barra

Post by keenfisho24 »

IMG_20200717_174722.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
keenfisho24
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by keenfisho24 »

Sorry I meant redclaw not teddies. First time fishing durack and my dad said he used to fish it ages ago for big barra, tarpon and sleepys. He reckons the fish he ate out of their a while back was good so he told me to keep one that I got
Captain6979
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Captain6979 »

Pretty sure that there are signs recommending you don't consume Fish that come out of there.. Yuk.. I personally would have thrown it back, and let it get bigger to catch next time..
keenfisho24
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by keenfisho24 »

The water quality is as good as any ollake or empoundements like Lake bennet for example. Water is especially clean this time of year and as for heavy metals. I'm sure it can't be near as bad as the ones out of the mcarthur or upper reaches of the Daly. I release him back down the toilet... As a turd. Mate I was hungry alright. I'm 12 years old and first barra out of there cmon
keenfisho24
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by keenfisho24 »

And look at that I'm a gold member already
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

I released him back down the toilet... As a turd.
That quote definitely earns Gold Member status.
keenfisho24
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by keenfisho24 »

I'm only playing. Dont worry I let the barra go. I actually did keep the first I ever got out of there 2 years ago but that was before they put the big signs up. Didn't actually taste that bad imo. I have caught many out of these lakes and the ones in durack tend to bigger my Pb out of there at 88 and gunn still has good sized ones but they tend to get flushed out during the wet a lot easier.
Captain6979
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Captain6979 »

Ya, knew you've caught them there before. Ha ha. I know its "unprecedented " times of late, which is why I thought people would eat a $5 feed from any fast food place, over catching, prepping, and cooking a palmy lake barra. Well done catching it anyways.:)
keenfisho24
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by keenfisho24 »

Thx. Most of good fish at gunn I expect have been flushed out a while back during the big rains. That's the only reason I travel the opposite side of palmo to fish there now. Lake behind the servo fishes best. I take it the cherries are stocked seeing they need Saltwater to breed. And that there are thousands of juveniles out at night.
keenfisho24
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by keenfisho24 »

I meant that they need brackish water to breed
NinjaFish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by NinjaFish »

Must be plenty of fish. Didn’t know there were so many lakes.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
keenfisho24
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by keenfisho24 »

Haha mate don't worry hooks are barbless. As for livebait I'll stick to what works opposed to a waste of time. I see half you lot fishing there with your fancy lures and retrieves and still get nothing. All I do is stick a bait under a float, sit back and catch a couple of good fish. Pretty strange signs don't say anything about livebaiting. Better yet half the mob at council don't have two clues unless you would like them to repeat signed information
theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by theodosius »

Nice one mate, good on you for getting out there. I usually give it a flick in the new years downpour, seems to get the fish active
keenfisho24
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by keenfisho24 »

If you read properly I said they've only put a large varnished sign up post - last year in every single lake around palmerston. So how about you just stop being a tosser and go back down to the Daly where the rest of the lot like you belong. Wanky spoilsport nasty lowlifes like you are the sort to p..s most people off. Compare the contrast between some guy that owns a couple of water vessels, a tackle box full of lures and a nice selection of gear to some young bloke with a bicycle and a pretty tight budget.