Leaders Sat 20/6

Jewies, big reds, macks & more - tell us how you went. NT, FNQ and Norwest.
RedDevil
Gold Member
Gold Member

Leaders Sat 20/6

Post by RedDevil »

So fished Leaders Creek for the first time in a while on the saturday just past.
Got to the ramp about 7.30am and after a bit of debate, decided not to pay and park within the camp grounds.
Headed straight out to the mouth and trolled around a bit for the outgoing tide without any success.
Heard stories of some big jewies being caught near the mouth so made the call to drop some squid baits down and immediately got some good bites. Well we didnt pick up any jewies but got some good salmon 8)
There was also alot of little pickers around and the usual powertail.
Dropped some pots and went exploring around. Pulled up at a Y junction and could only get tiny little jew fish (well i think they were) and there were a lot of them. through them all back as they were tiny.
Got a few mullets and tried live baiting to no success.
Checked the pots and moved them around a bit but only managed one crab the whole day.
All in all a nice day out on the water and definitely keen to suss this place out more. If anyone has any pointers on areas worth trying, that would be great! :mrgreen:
Sorry didnt take any pictures

Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Re: Leaders Sat 20/6

Post by Matt Flynn »

Big barra and jewies are trolled up near the mouth. Often seen on sounder and not biting.

How did you go with the rockbar?
RedDevil
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RedDevil »

no issues with the rockbar. i came back in not long after the 2.5m low. to be honest i didnt even find out where is was. i just took it slow all the way back in and watched the sounder
theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by theodosius »

Never done any good out there, the rocks out front look great though
Lats
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Lats »

The rock bar is 100-200m down from the ramp. Jewies at the mouth are usually either leaving or entering the creek. It's a waiting game there. There is a few places in the creek where they sit and feed. One place is up the last creek on the right just before the mouth. Up there you will find a junction and the deepest hole in the entire creek. Use Blue Salmon or tuna for bait
NinjaFish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by NinjaFish »

From my experience, if you find the Blue Salmon, the Jewies aren’t far away.
Found many Salmon & juvenile Jew 30-40cm inside big Jewies when filleting over the years.
RedDevil
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RedDevil »

Thanks for the tips all