Nieces first decent fish.

Jewies, big reds, macks & more - tell us how you went. NT, FNQ and Norwest.
Captain6979
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Nieces first decent fish.

Post by Captain6979 »

There's nothing quite like the look on a kids face when they pull in their best fish, ever..
To date, the niece had only ever caught about 3 fish. And the biggest going only about 20cm..
She had never really asked me to take her fishing, up until about 2 weeks ago. So I said "sure, Saturday morning we will go out for a quick 3 hour fish."
Friday night I sent a text saying she can stay at our place, as we had to get up early.. To which she responded: "what time are we getting up?" "5:30am, I replied." Only to be met with silence....
I thought, great, see how we go waking her up in the morning... This shall determine if I ever took her out again..
To the nieces credit, she was up at 530, and we were off the servo to reward her with a hot chocolate for brekky. My mate was an absolute legend, and Launched us at Nightcliff ramp, since cant self launch, and said he would meet us at about 920am for retrieval.
The ocean was like a pool table.....flat as.
Zipping around to Lee Point, I explained along the way about how to release the lure into the water for trolling, how far back to put the lure, explain what "drag" was, what the "ratchet" does, as well as the finer things, such as looking for birds, baitfish movement, bust-ups, etc..basically, all.of it..
So after she ran the orange Halco laser pro out the back, for about 15minutes, the reel start humming, to which I say: " that's fish baby!!" I think I was more excited than her to be honest. Ha ha.
After grabbing the reel for her out of the holder, I gave it a quick few cranks, and ensured the hook was set, and handed it over to her. I said, "pump and wind, don't let the line go slack." And to her credit, she cranked like hell.. Not long after, it was at the boat, a nice Mackie was the victim.
As I threw it in the boat for her, the look on her face was priceless. So glad I got to see her ecstatic, in shock, and speechless, all at the same time. Don't forget, she had never caught anything decent, until now...
Mackie went 83cm to the fork, and didn't stand a chance, not with how she was winding that reel in!
Needless to say, she has the fishing bug now... And I can't wait to take her out for a fish-hunt again.
We only got the one fish that morning, but I wouldn't trade it for the world. Mission accomplished. :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jeffish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Nieces first decent fish.

Post by jeffish »

Great story Captain ,, Nice PB for the deckie :applause:
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

We only got the one fish that morning, but I wouldn't trade it for the world. Mission accomplished.
Fishing becomes less about the fish as life goes on, IMO ... great day out :mrgreen:
theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by theodosius »

Well done!
Jeno
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Jeno »

Nice one mate...good to see!