Nhulunbuy / Gove move :)

Tell us a camping story. Let us guess? You left the cooking oil and bog roll at home ...
Daz12
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Nhulunbuy / Gove move :)

Post by Daz12 »

It's not all doom and gloom mate. There are some good fish to be caught there. Best part is the untouched variety of bays, islands and coastline you can fish. Caught that 92cm on a livie in a creek straight across from the ship loader. Probably got lucky but they're around.
I'm not aware of the bauxite ledge at Cape Arnhem being closed Flicken. I was there from 2006 to 2015 and fished there a few times. Never was any mention of it being closed on the permit or in general discussion. I remember seeing the fence there to stop vehicles but you could walk around.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Best part is the untouched variety of bays, islands and coastline
Port Bradshaw was an eye-opener for me. Without trying to be D&M, seeing the many species of small fish in the shallows, and rarely trolling for more than 200m without a hookup out around the rocks, and the multi hookups, and seeing crabs crawling around everywhere - and comparing that to some of the fished-out and littered landscapes I'd seen elsewhere around Australia - made me realise just how degraded the more populated coastlines are.

Good fisheries management and strict pollution controls can make some difference in populated areas though. Shark Bay in WA almost lost its local snapper from overfishing but strict management rules brought the stock back.

Port Bradshaw may not be as pristine these days, or even accessible, as Flicken says. Years ago I fished a creek out that way, the bloke I was fishing with said it was a very rarely fished spot and that we were lucky to be there, two minutes later I pulled in the biggest bird's nest of lures off a snag I've seen :D

Look up Dhimurru land management for what is publicly accessible. Might be restrictions with the virus situation. http://www.dhimurru.com.au/
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Ocean beaches even in remote spots like New Year Island are like that.

I didn't see rubbish inside Port Bradshaw when I was there, aside from the lure birds nest.
Hutchy
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Hutchy »

Dont Listen to flickens pesimism fff1964. there are plenty of barra around arnhem, buckingham and blue mud. Blue Mud is a fair haul (200 ks of dirt track) and is predominantly build up fishing with bulk Goldies around the islands also. Arnhem bay is good for both build up and in the limited "run off" that we have, The boat ramp pictured above is plenty good enough to launch 6m+ boats 2 hours either side of high tide and gives you access to a massive bay with 6-7 big river systems and bulk rock bars and can almost always guarantee you will bag out with barra and crabs. Buckingham bay is more of a haul by road but is the best bay for run off fishing.
both Arnhem bay and buckingham can be accessed by boat form Gove harbour also (3-3.5hr trip by boat) but time goes by quickly sinking tins and looking at scenery.
Gove harbour is full of rats and they are very finicky due to the water being alot cleaner here. but there are plenty of big fish to be found too. biggest i have pulled from the bay is 92 but knowof quite a few meterys caught too.

the Islands bluewater/reef fishing around here is very good as well. have lived here for 30 years and the barra fishing is definitely better n darwin for bigger fish but the barra fishing here is still pretty good with plenty to be caught in the 55-75 range and enough meterys caught every year to keep you interested.

flick me a message if you got any questions